GPS?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SWSteve

Guru
I'm looking at buying a GPS to track my rides/progress as opposed to using my phone so it's battery doesn't die leaving me stranded without a way to contact home/someone if something were to go wrong.

I've looked into Garmin's units as they seem to be the unit that everyone uses, Cateye also do some but they don't seem to be used by anyone, and have a couple of questions I would like to be answered.

What are the differences between a 500 and a 510/800 and 810?

And what is the difference between a 200, a 500 and a 800 (or 10s if you understand)?

I want to be able to track, plan a route before hand and put it on the unit so I know where to turn etc, and be able to see how far I am into/have left of the ride. People have mentioned the bread crumb feature, but I would want to be able to put a route onto it before setting off, as opposed to just seeing where I have been.

Thanks.

pplpilot

Guru
800 or 810 then. Garmin.com will tell you the differences.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
If you have the dosh I would say the 800 Steve. The new 810 still seems to have one or two niggles and is not that much of an upgrade. Would love the 800 myself but alas will have to make do with the 200 for the foreseeable future.

OP
OP
S

SWSteve

Guru
800 or 810 then. Garmin.com will tell you the differences.

I used their comparison feature, and the only thing I could see that seperated the 500 from a 800 is the ability to add maps via an SD card. Is there no other way to have a route planned than with a map? As it could use grid references as opposed to turnings etc?

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
The main difference is the 800 adds mapping to what a 500 has. With the 500 you can download a track to it and it will show as a trace on the screen that you can follow, but there is no map. The 800 can have detailed maps with roads, trails, points of interest, etc., and can navigate between these similar to an automotive GPS system ie it has turn by turn navigation. Don't need mapping, get the 500. Want mapping, get the 800.

The 800 also has a touchscreen.

Ive got the 800 and am very happy with it, I wanted the ability to plan a route through the unknown and let it guide me turn by turn. Also you can add POI and tell it to navigate there wherever you are.

If none of the above interests you, just get the cheaper 500.

the "10" series (810 etc) allows you to upload to Garmin Connect wirelessly. Given you presumably come home, and want the stuff on strava anyway, getting a mere cable out and plugging it in will save a bit of dosh. The 810 is incremental over the 800 imo.

RWright

Guru
Even though my eyesight has been improving and it is not what I would call really bad, I could see the 800 better. I returned a 500 to get the 800. I like the touch screen too. Sorry I can't answer the grid questions. I have barely used the GPS functions. I know that it would once in a while tell me I was off course and I was on the only road I could be on, there were no turns and I had been on the road for miles. I think it may have lost signal for a second.

I don't know if it will function like a car GPS exactly, I was following a line trail and kept noticing I was trying to turn my head to look at it upside down. :rolleyes: I am thinking about doing a little longer planned route soon so I want to start learning how to use it.

I would look at them in person if I were able. I didn't because I would have had to drive about 30 miles to do so, if I were doing it over again, I would go see them first.

The wireless connection of the 810 or 510 would be cool I think. I also believe you can do live tracking with the 510 and 810.

I like this commercial video.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyD-em6jp_0
Using the new Edge® 810 and 510 touchscreen GPS bike computers, which offer advanced performance metrics and connected features through your smartphone, including LiveTrack, auto upload, social network sharing and weather our riders can now share their activities live from the road or when they get back home

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
@RWright - your turning your head probably because the unit is set up to face north. You can change that in the settings so it rotates the map to the way you are facing, much like how car users have their GPS set up.

It's not a breadcrumb trail like the cheaper models so I guess your off course warning was a temporary loss of signal.

It's worth checking thru the settings, Garmin, like most bike computer manufacturers, could learn a lot about ease of use from smartphone apps.

In the meantime check out dcrainmaker's excellent in depth review which will help with common setup settings and those looking to see what the 800 is all about.

Warning: when I say in depth...

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/08/garmin-edge-800-in-depth-first-look.html

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Extrex 20.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I thought about an Etrex but although you can use the GSC10 speed/cadence sensor with it it actually only uses the cadence data from the sensor not the speed data.
The OP says nothing about wanting to record cadence data but appears to want to use a GPS for navigation purposes no?.

BSRU

A Human Being
The OP says nothing about wanting to record cadence data but appears to want to use a GPS for navigation purposes no?.
If their looking at 500/510 or 800/810 then knowing the Etrex does not use the speed sensor data maybe important.
If they purely want GPS navigation then the Etrex series would be perfect and alot cheaper.

RWright

Guru
@RWright - your turning your head probably because the unit is set up to face north. You can change that in the settings so it rotates the map to the way you are facing, much like how car users have their GPS set up.

It's not a breadcrumb trail like the cheaper models so I guess your off course warning was a temporary loss of signal.

It's worth checking thru the settings, Garmin, like most bike computer manufacturers, could learn a lot about ease of use from smartphone apps.

In the meantime check out dcrainmaker's excellent in depth review which will help with common setup settings and those looking to see what the 800 is all about.

Warning: when I say in depth...

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/08/garmin-edge-800-in-depth-first-look.html

Thanks for that, I will check it out. I knew it could probably be done but was on a ride that I sort of wanted to get home before dark and was afraid to try and figure it out while I was riding. I got home and forgot about it. I may even try to do a little reading up on it today. :thumbsup:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If their looking at 500/510 or 800/810 then knowing the Etrex does not use the speed sensor data maybe important.
If they purely want GPS navigation then the Etrex series would be perfect and alot cheaper.
agreed.

Lots of folk disregard etrex as they aren't cycling specific. The features on the Edge series are only useful to head down arse up types! ;)

Etrex does all the speed data logging I need with sensors on the bike.

Top Bottom