gradients in shetlands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bygone era

Über Member
looking to tour on shetlands are there many steep hills my set up is 30,40,50 front and 13 /26 rear maybe camping as well any recommended camp sites and what are the midges like up there also has anyone used the Aberdeen to lerwick ferry is it possible to leave a car there for 2 weeks easier than getting trains If you have cycle reservations and they replace part of journey by bus do they have to accept cycles as well at no extra cost thanks

. , A, B. C. ?

Drago

Legendary Member
Midges aren't as bad as the Western Isles.

Not too many steep gradients, but it's not entirely devoid of them and the general terrain undulates nicely.

Used the ferry many times, don't know about leaving a car there.

Never camped there, so can impart no first hand experience of skipping under canvas.

When are you going? I'm due back up for a week in June, but won't be cycling.

snorri

Legendary Member
I don't recall any great problems with steep hills in Shetland, but haven't a clue how many teeth were on my cogs. Midgies unlikely to be a problem, they go to ground in windy conditions. There are various campsites and plenty of places for wild camping. Long stay car parking is available in Aberdeen.The Aberdeen Lerwick ferry carries bicycles. On the rare occasions that a bus is provided to replace a rail service, cyclists are usually left to their own devices.
Shetland can be a fairly rugged place to tour, don't expect cafes and repair shops around every corner, and did I mention the wind?
ttps://www.shetland.org/plan/caravan-and-camping

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I think the campsite at Lerwick is now shut as the new school is being built on the site. Wind on Shetland can be far worse than gradients and there can be thick fog between Lerwick and Scalloway. Most of the villages have good shops for food supplies. Been there often but always with a vehicle so never tried leaving one in Aberdeen. Parking generally is a problem in Aberdeen but there are quite a few who seem to rent out private driveways. Cannot remember the name of the site but google is usually your friend.

Slick

Guru
Parking shouldn't really be a problem in a city where thousands of people fly to work and don't come back for at least 2 weeks. Not everyone takes the car but most hotels would look after your motor. Well, the smaller non chain hotels would.

Parking shouldn't really be a problem in a city where thousands of people fly to work and don't come back for at least 2 weeks. Not everyone takes the car but most hotels would look after your motor. Well, the smaller non chain hotels would.
Long term car parking is hard to find in Aberdeen. The cheapest city centre car park is the part of South College Street car park that is sectioned off for rail travellers. Used to be £6 per day but this has probably gone up. There is a lot of airport parking but this is well out of the city.

Slick

Guru
Long term car parking is hard to find in Aberdeen. The cheapest city centre car park is the part of South College Street car park that is sectioned off for rail travellers. Used to be £6 per day but this has probably gone up. There is a lot of airport parking but this is well out of the city.
Not if you have a bike. :okay:

I worked offshore for a number of years and left my car for two weeks at a time, sometimes 3 and nobody batted an eye lid.

Slioch

Guru
I went to Shetland 2 years ago at the beginning of May. I only had a week and, because I wanted to cover as much ground as possible, that ruled out taking the bike as I wouldn't have had time to explore off to the side and sit soaking up the view and wildlife. I got the train to Aberdeen, ferry to Lerwick, and picked up a hire car at the ferry terminal. I took my one man tent and camped at camp sites.

Gradients - The hills on the main roads aren't too steep but tend to be long and draggy, so don't think you will have any issues with your gearing. The wind will be a major factor though. Minor roads have steeper bits.

Midges - No issues at that time of the year.

Camping - I stayed at 4 different sites listed on the Shetlang.Org website here. All of the sites were clean and well maintained, and if you are discreet have somewhere you can cook your meals indoors if the weather is iffy.
  • Bridge End - I was the only person there. Unmanned. Sheltered.
  • Braewick - A bit exposed as is on the top of a cliff, so you need a good tent and double-pegging, but worth it for the stunning views. Walked down to the beach in the evening and watched a pod of 3x killer whales cruise past 50 yards offshore. Great showers. The wooden wigwams attract some strange but harmless people. That whole area of Shetland, Eshaness, is stunning.
  • Gardiesfauld - Brilliant. In the grounds of a youth hostel so you have access to kitchens/showers etc. Sheltered.
  • Burravoe - Really good. Bit of a steep hill down to it. Unmanned. Annoying twat in a camper van who was an authority on everything.
Shops are few and far between so plan your food purchases well.

The fish and chip shop in Brae is brilliant.
Jarlshof is overpriced for what it is (imho).
The sea cliffs at Hermaness with their Fulmar colonies are an assault on the senses.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Slick my son currently works out of Aberdeen but he would use the airport parking as he usually helicopters out but sometimes by ship. Mostly he avoids problems by using ( on expenses) a one way hire car. I have had to make several visits to Aberdeen regarding a bereavement and the only longer term parking I could find was a hotel I used. Everywhere else useful is meter controlled with time limits and vigilant traffic wardens particularly in Bon Accord Square area.

Slick

Guru
Slick my son currently works out of Aberdeen but he would use the airport parking as he usually helicopters out but sometimes by ship. Mostly he avoids problems by using ( on expenses) a one way hire car. I have had to make several visits to Aberdeen regarding a bereavement and the only longer term parking I could find was a hotel I used. Everywhere else useful is meter controlled with time limits and vigilant traffic wardens particularly in Bon Accord Square area.
I never parked in the city centre but lots of hotels cater for the offshore clientele and that includes long term parking.

Top Bottom