Graham Weigh frame-June updates.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Seem to have got myself a tatty Graham Weigh frame as a as project,only cost £22 so not too bad.

Seller doesn't fhink it's a 531 frame as it has a 26.6 seat post but not too bothered as it will probably not be done up too much.

Have a few bits lying about so should be able to do this on a tight budget;only major cost will be wheels as I have an old pair of 80's Mavics which will be re-furbed if possible.

Of course if it is a nice Columbus or Renolds frame then a major refurb could be done although it will still be single speed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Graham-We...KFUcfWnyvKJ3j%2B8EW84%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Elybazza61 that will do nicely and a good price too well done , keep the thread alive with updates and pics

OP
OP
Elybazza61

Elybazza61

Guru
Still not got the frame yet(prob be Friday) but been mulling over what to do to it.

Will wait to see about the paint,if it's not too bad I'll just clear up the rust patches and just prime and paint them;if it's worse than that Ill rub it down and re-paint and get some decals(have access ton primer and paint at work),will just go the white paint with black or blue decals.

As I presume it'll be a 1" steerer I'll probably stick with the fork and not go the carbon route as it looks like 1" carbon forks are a bit rare unless s/h.
This then leads to if I get a threaded adapter and use the stems and bars I already have(cheapest option) or get some nice Cinelli bars and a quill stem for more dosh.

And finally wheels!
Have a pair of 80's Mavic(can't remember if they are MA4 or MA40's)/Miche wheels that would need a re-furb and re-spoke but I dunno if it would be more cost-effective to buy some new wheels;like the idea of using the Mavics but maybe not worth the cost.

Everything else should be straight forward(:rolleyes::whistle::laugh:);have a nice Stronglight crankset(will need a new chainring),old 105 calipers which I'll pair with some Tektro levers(or old 105 if I can get some) and have some part used Schwalbe Durano Etapes that will do tyre -wise.

Only other thing to decide is the gearing.

Looking forward to getting started now:becool:;will also be curious to find out what tubing it is,seller thinks it not 53(he's only going by the seat-post size:unsure:) but after having a google it seems like all sorts of tubing was used.

Looking forward to getting started now:becool:;will also be curious to find out what tubing it is,seller thinks it not 53(he's only going by the seat-post size:unsure:) but after having a google it seems like all sorts of tubing was used.
That's probably going to be a "no-one knows" answer! If the seller has measured it accurately it's unlikely to be any old lump of pig iron, were these built in-house or were they bought in?

OP
OP
Elybazza61

Elybazza61

Guru
Dug out the wheels and they are ma2's not 40's or 4's:rolleyes:;still ok though and they are not in too bad nick,seem to be fairly true(slight wobble in both but nothing horrendous)and the brake track looks ok apart from the odd nick.Only iffy thing is the spoke eyelets are a bit tarnished so will dig out the spoke key and see if the nipples will move.

It's got a 13-21(I think) Regina hub on and it still moves ok;even the hubs don't feel that rough I could be lucky with these;will prob get them checked over though and see what can be done to make the rear a ss,either fit a cog if poss(and the hub is ok)or get a flip-flop hub put on.

Even though I'm picking the frame up tomorrow probably won't get anything done this week-end as I have the club sportive on Sunday;will try and get some pics of the frame and wheels up though.

OP
OP
Elybazza61

Elybazza61

Guru
Ok picked it up so here's some pics;

_NDW8020.JPG
_NDW8031.JPG
_NDW8028.JPG
_NDW8029.JPG
_NDW8022.JPG
_NDW8024.JPG
_NDW8026.JPG
_NDW8027.JPG

Also gave it a quick pop on some not too accurate scales and it came up at 1.9ish kgs for the frame only.

Looks like it may have had a sort of triangular decal at the top of the seat-tube and most of the other decals are coming off so I might still go the full strip and re-paint route.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Elybazza61

Elybazza61

Guru
Could that be a clue to the tubing manufacturer?

Probably;had look for that type of label and there was a triangular Reynolds one but it doesn't look like on of them so who knows?

First hiccup though as the 105 calipers I have are obviously long-drops:rolleyes::sad:;so if anyone needs a pair of 80's long drop calipers these will be for sale.Do have some FZA badged ones spare but may keep an eye for something else.

Top Bottom