Graham Weigh frame-June updates.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Elybazza61

Elybazza61

Guru
I really like that. fantastic job. :okay:

its made a decision to convert one of my bikes a little easier, been looking at a wheelset and crankset for my Dawes. if you don't mind, what re those brake levers?

Thanks.

The levers are old Shimano Exage ones off E-Bay;cost approx £25.

U

User19783

Great looking bike,
But you need to fit chain tugs, or life savers, as you don't what the chain coming off, and locking up the back wheel,
I enclose two photos of my forward facing drop out bike with chain tugs.

All you need to do, is file the lugs off, so the bracket is flush with the frame.

Hope this helps.
IMAG0066.jpg
IMAG0069.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just spotted this. It's deffo Reynolds. I had 653 with an aero crown (no external lugs on the forks). 531 did have differing seat tube diameters before 27.2 became the BS norm - mine have been 27.2 from 1986....

Looking great.

PS Raceblade longs will fit if the cruds don't work out.

OP
OP
Elybazza61

Elybazza61

Guru
Ta,for the replies:thumbsup:

Great looking bike,
But you need to fit chain tugs, or life savers, as you don't what the chain coming off, and locking up the back wheel,
I enclose two photos of my forward facing drop out bike with chain tugs.

All you need to do, is file the lugs off, so the bracket is flush with the frame.

Hope this helps. View attachment 109697 View attachment 109698

I'll look up some of those.

Just spotted this. It's deffo Reynolds. I had 653 with an aero crown (no external lugs on the forks). 531 did have differing seat tube diameters before 27.2 became the BS norm - mine have been 27.2 from 1986....

Looking great.

PS Raceblade longs will fit if the cruds don't work out.

So it's likely to be early/mid 80's then? Thought it was 90's:unsure:.And then what type is it? ,standard 531,531C? and that sticker outline still bugs me as it looks more like millenium ones which would make it a 90's frame:huh:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Plus the 120 dropouts tend to point that way although if it was a custom build they could have been specified if the original owner had a nice set of older 120 hubs they wanted to use.

OP
OP
Elybazza61

Elybazza61

Guru
Thanks again gents.

'Suppose the sticker thing may be a red herring,could have been anything and the original Reynolds decal had just gone;the decals/stickers that were left were pretty foobard.

OP
OP
Elybazza61

Elybazza61

Guru
Some updates this week-end.

Picked some old Cinelli bars and stem off the 'bay,some spd pedals from Demon Tweaks and a mint s/h Fabric scoop from aberal in the classifieds.

IMG_20160620_082318431.jpg

IMG_20160620_082356111.jpg

IMG_20160620_082337333.jpg

Little shake-down run today and much better with all the add-ons;just need some nice tan wall tyres in 23c now,,,

IMG_20160620_074140014.jpg

OP
OP
Elybazza61

Elybazza61

Guru
Might just be about done now,just need another shake-down test to sort bar and saddle positions.

Final additions are th Exage callipers to go with the levers,ISO bb for the Stronglight cranks,Evans bottle cage and the Veloflex Masters with latex tubes.

Only other thing I'll get is some brake pads as the ones on(nicked from the old 105 ones I have) are worn.

_NDW8104.jpg
_NDW8110.jpg
_NDW8107.jpg

gareth01244

Veteran
Nicely done, tyres have definitely improved the bike. Graham Weigh shop is about six miles from me so i always take an interest in one of his bikes when i see one, might even buy one if its as good as yours

OP
OP
Elybazza61

Elybazza61

Guru
Nicely done, tyres have definitely improved the bike. Graham Weigh shop is about six miles from me so i always take an interest in one of his bikes when i see one, might even buy one if its as good as yours

Think they just sell ally stuff now although they may have some NOS stuff about.

If you do go in you could ask them if they used to make frames with Ishiwata tubing:whistle: I know they don't have any records(and I couldn't find a serial no anyway) but I think that's the only type what matches the dimensions and the decal remains that were on it originally.

OP
OP
Elybazza61

Elybazza61

Guru
Last mod done.

Bigger chainring now on,went for a 46t and seems about right with the 17t sprocket/freewheel.

Plenty of commutes now and really enjoying riding it,only niggle is the crank bolts seem to loosen despite being done up tight,might need torqueing up a bit more than I think.

Top Bottom