Grammar Pedants...

What's the plural of BMX?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Neither, it's BMX bikes

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
BMXs - and no, repeat, no apostrophe to denote the plural - unless you are a greengrocer.

Neither construct is very elegant, so I would be tempted to write around it.

"Claud's shed is full of rusty bikes, including two BMX bikes."

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
What say I? I say the same for either spelling but the written /e/ is pretty much unnecessary as far as I'm concerned. It's already a collection of initials so there's little need to get concerned about what happens with ordinary words. Besides, we pronounce it /iz/ so worrying about sticking an e in before the s seems a bit senseless. It's not a particularly phonetic spelling system we use.

winjim

Smash the cistern
BMXs - and no, repeat, no apostrophe to denote the plural - unless you are a greengrocer.

No apostrophe there, just epistrophe.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
No apostrophe there, just epistrophe.
And the taking the pistrophe goes to.....

OP
OP
Z

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Given that the X is not used as if in an acronym, it's a device to represent the word 'cross', whose plural is 'crosses', so perhaps it's BMXes?

KneesUp

Guru

Isn't that tautology, or something, given as BMX stands for 'bicycle motor cross' except with an X for cross, because that's like way cooler? Like saying 'PIN number'?

"Claud's shed is full of rusty bikes. Amongst them is a BMX. Oh, and look, next to that wheelbarrow there is another BMX - that makes two."

Top Bottom