Grammar Police

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I who have nothing.

That just doesn't sound right!🤔

Surely 'nothing' is just that....nothing. So how can you have something that doesn't exist?🤔

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
"So I called up the Captain
Please bring me my wine
He said, "we haven't had that spirit here since nineteen sixty-nine"

The above words,as you probably know are part of the lyrics to 'Hotel California' by (The) Eagles.
What's always bugged me is that wine isn't a spirit as it's fermented,not distilled.

I've always thought those words should've been replaced by
Please bring me my tea. He said we haven't had that hot beverage here since 1963.:cuppa:

Last edited:
"So I called up the Captain
Please bring me my wine
He said, "we haven't had that spirit here since nineteen sixty-nine"

The above words,as you probably know are part of the lyrics to 'Hotel California' by (The) Eagles.
What's always bugged me is that wine isn't a spirit as it's fermented,not distilled.

I've always thought those words should've been replaced by
Please bring me my tea. He said we haven't had that hot beverage here since 1963.:cuppa:

Strange how people read different things into lyrics.

The words are deliberately 'other wordly' l and I always thought the spirit referred to the psyche/ethos meaning, not the type of alcohol.

Only The Eagles know the real meaning I suppose.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Even that makes me uncomfortable. I get twitchy when people verb nouns.

Verbing nouns is indeed terrible. I hate "to leverage". Oh, hang on, I'm hoisted on my own petard with"verbing" but at least that makes more sense than verbing a word like "lever" which is already a verb. Don't the Yanks even say burglarize instead of burgle due to some twisted chain of so-called logic?

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
"I ain't got nothin' ":thumbsdown:

I haven't got anything.:thumbsup:

Depends on context. If you address a police officer the correct phrase is indeed "you ain't got nuffin on me copper" On the other hand if he does have something on you after all, I understand you say "It's a fair cop guv'nor. You got me bang to rights and no mistake" I've sure Drago could clarify any details.

As an aside a mate of mine was stopped for speeding and did indeed say "it's a fair cop" and the policeman thought he was taking the piss, which he wasn't;. He just thought there was no point making up silly excuses. Can't now recall if he got a telling off or a ticket

Top Bottom