Grammar Police

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Thats is, alas, contradictory. Even a non specific, generic, place is still a place, and there is no rule that differentiates them from specificic places. That may be a convention in some quarters, but it is not the commonly usEd OnE.

Ditto with names. Even when discussing names without reference to a specific person it should still be capitalised. For example, "I think Cedric is a dreadfully old fashioned name".

A name is a name, a place is a place, even when being discussed in the abstract.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
This thread gives me the shakes...

It gove me the shakes too.

figbat

Slippery scientist
In that case I should refer to going Home from Work, using the Roads in the Countryside, slowing down in the Towns and Villages - I might stop at the Chip Shop on the way.

Proper nouns are the differentiation between specific and generic places. My kids go to Poshshire Country Primary School, which is a primary school in Poshshire.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
In that case I should refer to going Home from Work, using the Roads in the Countryside, slowing down in the Towns and Villages - I might stop at the Chip Shop on the way.

Proper nouns are the differentiation between specific and generic places. My kids go to Poshshire Country Primary School, which is a primary school in Poshshire.

That's getting close to the German model where they capitalise all nouns and gerund forms.
I'm pretty sure we fought two wars to avoid that.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I often see kids writing: "I have went ". Grammar is slowly disappearing and I think the younger generation is not even aware of this as they all take it for granted. They just follow what they see and hear from the media, footballers, actors, pop stars etc..... and don't get me started on the americanised spelling we get over here now: tire ( tyre), tonite ( tonight) , donut ( doughnut) , color ( colour ) and many more. :cursing:
I think English teachers are fighting a losing battle to be honest and that is a sad state of affair. :sad:

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
I often see kids writing: "I have went ". Grammar is slowly disappearing and I think the younger generation is not even aware of this as they all take it for granted. They just follow what they see and hear from the media, footballers, actors, pop stars etc..... and don't get me started on the americanised spelling we get over here now: tire ( tyre), tonite ( tonight) , donut ( doughnut) , color ( colour ) and many more. :cursing:
I think English teachers are fighting a losing battle to be honest and that is a sad state of affair. :sad:
:cursing: Totally agree with the Americanisation (if that's even a word) of English over here, my pet peeve is 24/7. No it's 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, it's just laziness.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

I would agree, the average UK person's grasp of English grammar is tenuous.

I include myself in that statement.

However, at 72 years of age, I do not feel I can be classed as "young".

It may be that I simply managed to absent from school, when the class was taught English grammar, but, it was not until I was at Grammar School, and we were taught French, that I realised that verbs, nouns, adjectives etc existed. The idea of conjugation of verbs was a mystery to me.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I often see kids writing: "I have went"....
I don't know the dialect in your part of Wales but I think a good number of UK speakers would not see that as an error. It's not "Queen's English" but it's how many dialects work - it's certainly common amongst Scottish speakers - despite Queen's English being the standardised dialect imposed on them.

Top Bottom