Grammar Police

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I posted this last Friday in,or is it on? 🤔 ,the Trivial things that make you annoyed beyond expectations? thread

I took the pic' below on the 4th of March this year in the Accrington Job Centre gents toilets,in the hope that one day i'd be able to post pics on CC to let the whole world know of such ( In my opinion) poor grammar. Now that i can i just have to get it off my chest,after six long months!:smile: Surely it should read 'please be aware of the possibility of discarded needles'. Not please be aware of possibly discarded needles?🤔

1600357335105.png

Edit...and then there's the 'Customer notice' bit. Surely people who use the job centre are clients,not customers? You aren't buying a job,which is what 'customers' do.🤔

I posted this last Friday in,or is it on? 🤔 ,the Trivial things that make you annoyed beyond expectations? thread

I took the pic' below on the 4th of March this year in the Accrington Job Centre gents toilets,in the hope that one day i'd be able to post pics on CC to let the whole world know of such ( In my opinion) poor grammar. Now that i can i just have to get it off my chest,after six long months!:smile: Surely it should read 'please be aware of the possibility of discarded needles'. Not please be aware of possibly discarded needles?🤔

View attachment 547664

Edit...and then there's the 'Customer notice' bit. Surely people who use the job centre are clients,not customers? You aren't buying a job,which is what 'customers' do.🤔

Glad to hear there was nothing dodgy about you standing around in the toilet taking photos.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Yes, let's all celebrate ignorance, and render all language and communication meaningless, and all thought muddled and incomprehensible.
It's worth bearing in mind that the dialects spoken by a large proportion of the population don't use the perfect tense and understand each other perfectly. And then we have a government that makes very few grammatical errors yet don't seem to have a clue what they're doing.

Seevio

Guru

View attachment 547664
Apart from the lack of full stop, there's nothing wrong with the grammar. It's just that what it means and what the writers intended might differ.

It implies that there are needles present and that one should be aware of them. The needles present may or may not have been discarded.

The deliberately placed needles are of course, ok.

DRM

Guru
She's just rung me
She's just rang me

View: https://youtu.be/vNL4hZrziUY

Paul Weller had the same problem way back in 1979 apparently

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
While we're here can we just address the worst abomination in English grammar in the last few decades?
It's "could HAVE", or "could've" if you prefer. "Would HAVE", or "would've".
It is not "could OF" or "would OF".

Jesus, half the adult population are doing it, and yet my daughter knows the difference at age 9. It's literally primary school English.

Try correcting someone however, and you're the assh0le apparently. And that's how society gets more stupid.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
While we're here can we just address the worst abomination in English grammar in the last few decades?

Jesus, half the adult population are doing it, and yet my daughter knows the difference at age 9. It's literally primary school English.

Try correcting someone however, and you're the assh0le apparently. And that's how society gets more stupid.
Karm doun, deer!

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member

Another one that which gets my goat is using "refute" in place of "deny".
The primary meaning of to refute is to disprove, yet it's frequently used to deny an accusation without any hint of evidence to disprove the accusation. Today's misuse is from Dildo Harding:
“I strongly refute that the system is failing,” https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-to-three-times-uk-capacity-says-dido-harding

Top Bottom