Grand National 2018.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrs M

Guru
I’m usually pretty good at picking the winners.
Like to see the horses in the paddock, go for colours that catch my eye, pretty horses and names with some hidden meaning :dry:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've had no luck on the horses for ages. Last week I backed one in the 2:40 and it came third in the 3:15 :sad:

AndyRM

XOXO
Hold on, aren't these sorts of threads supposed to be full of folk saying how much they don't care or aren't interested? Marmion sort of had a go early doors, but it was a poor effort.

So, I don't get the appeal of horse racing. Emaciated dwarves cutting about on doped up horses.

I don't own a TV either so I couldn't have watched even if I wanted to.

Sandra6

Veteran
I don't understand the "nation's" annual interest in horse racing.
Why do people who pay no attention the rest of the year suddenly become interested in the outcome of a horse race for one day of the year?
When I was little my dad always used to let us pick a horse in the grand national, but never so much as watched a race at any other time.
At work all the blokes were discussing tips, I've never heard any such talk at any other time.
I was quite fascinated by it when I was younger and was very good at picking winners -but only once the race was under way so hardly a lucrative skill, but as an adult I can't see past the cruelty element so I'd rather not watch, and I certainly don't bet.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Tiger Roll for me , got fixed odds @ 12-1 reasonable chances ,
If it stays upright and the jockey manages to stay on ,I’m in with a chance !

Good Luck everyone !
I picked Tiger roll out, but I had a change of heart and didn't back anything. Doh.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
My dad & brother are/have been big into horses & betting, but I only bet once a year on the National. Only ever once backed the winner in 30+ years, but often get a place or 2. Opened 2 new accounts yesterday & got cashback & free bets, so £30 in bets cost me less than a tenner. Got 2nd & 4th with my biggest bets, a return of £66.25, so quite happy. Anibale Fly was tipped in our local paper so opted for that & the previous Saturday I had pleasant company on my Saturday ride with @craigwend so opted to have Pleasant Company in the national this Saturday. Guess i owe you a beer Craig :cheers:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I don't understand the "nation's" annual interest in horse racing.
Why do people who pay no attention the rest of the year suddenly become interested in the outcome of a horse race for one day of the year?
When I was little my dad always used to let us pick a horse in the grand national, but never so much as watched a race at any other time.
At work all the blokes were discussing tips, I've never heard any such talk at any other time.
I was quite fascinated by it when I was younger and was very good at picking winners -but only once the race was under way so hardly a lucrative skill, but as an adult I can't see past the cruelty element so I'd rather not watch, and I certainly don't bet.
Same as Wimbledon, the boat race, the Tour de France and indeed athletics which only hit's the headlines in Olympic year. Some sports have an annual event which for historical reasons is bigger than the sport itself and gets massive coverage.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Same as Wimbledon, the boat race, the Tour de France and indeed athletics which only hit's the headlines in Olympic year. Some sports have an annual event which for historical reasons is bigger than the sport itself and gets massive coverage.

Never more so than the Tour de France in Yorkshire.

Hundreds of thousands turned out for that, 99.9% of whom - including me - wouldn't normally cross the road to watch a bike race.

As regards jump racing being cruel, if it was so cruel the horses would not jump - they are quite capable of refusing to do something they don't fancy.

Quite the reverse, a quality steeplechaser appears to enjoy jumps and the race - insofar as any of us can tell what any animal is thinking.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
My dad & brother are/have been big into horses & betting, but I only bet once a year on the National. Only ever once backed the winner in 30+ years, but often get a place or 2. Opened 2 new accounts yesterday & got cashback & free bets, so £30 in bets cost me less than a tenner. Got 2nd & 4th with my biggest bets, a return of £66.25, so quite happy. Anibale Fly was tipped in our local paper so opted for that & the previous Saturday I had pleasant company on my Saturday ride with @craigwend so opted to have Pleasant Company in the national this Saturday. Guess i owe you a beer Craig :cheers:

I'll drink to that :cheers: ...

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
You do know that the winner is owned by the chap who owns Ryanair... :whistle:
He flew home last night on a Ryan Air and had to delay the flight by 30mins as the winning jockey was on the plane too and running late.
Then bought everyone a free drink, as compensation but I still think he is an arse.
He also made a joke about having to pay excess baggage charge for the trophy. Nobber.

Top Bottom