graphene in tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yes. I have been riding Vittoria Rubino G+ for a good few thousand miles now. Any difference? Not that I can really tell.

Yes ,I have used(and still have) Vittoria Jafaki MTB tyres and while they are excellent tyres,the extra expense is not necessary.
I actually went back to their Geax branded 3C tyres as I was getting just as much traction with those at less than half the price.
The Graphene tyres are hard wearing and provide good grip,but no more,no less than the previous compound.
You are probably talking about road tyres,and I think they would be good in present conditions

andrew_s

Legendary Member
<cynic mode>
Graphene is carbon atoms arranged in a flat 1 atom thick sheet. Considering that graphite is a thick stack of such layers, that one early method of obtaining small samples was, I kid you not, to pull off the top layer from graphite with sticky tape, and asking how many atoms across the sheet has to be to still be called graphene, I'm led to wonder whether basic carbon black (soot), as used in most tyres, contains a small amount of graphene, and it's just the Vittoria marketing department seizing on the lastest wonder tech buzz word
</cynic mode>

GuyBoden

Guru
<cynic mode>
Graphene is carbon atoms arranged in a flat 1 atom thick sheet. Considering that graphite is a thick stack of such layers, that one early method of obtaining small samples was, I kid you not, to pull off the top layer from graphite with sticky tape, and asking how many atoms across the sheet has to be to still be called graphene, I'm led to wonder whether basic carbon black (soot), as used in most tyres, contains a small amount of graphene, and it's just the Vittoria marketing department seizing on the lastest wonder tech buzz word
</cynic mode>
Yes, I believe soot was added to the manufacturing of conventional bike tyres to improve grip.

Would it be a better idea, to create nano-sized flakes of graphene oxide spun into graphene fibres, these strong, flexible fibres can then be woven to manufacture tyre carcasses. (Don't tell the Americans they Patent anything and everything.)

Manchester is home of Graphene.

Last edited:
Top Bottom