Gratuitous post in praise of mirrors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

andym

Über Member
ChrisKH said:
I have always fancied those small mirrors you can get to put on a helmet, but are they actually any good?

Americans seem to like them so the probably do do the job.

HelenD123

Guru
andrew_s said:
Those are what I used to use before I went to STI brake levers. I've never found anything satisfactory since, so I ended up giving up on mirrors entirely.

You can get a Mirrycle which fits STI brake levers. Look out for a review in the next Velovision.

belairman

ChrisKH said:
which one are you deaf in? I'm totally deaf in my right ear.

Chris, me too, and I get just the same experience with unexpected overtakes. Especially where there are two cars and I don't hear the second one over the noise of the first.

I haven't tried a helmet mirror but i've seen other posts which don't rate them because they vibrate a lot ???

I always thought some sort of helmet periscope might be good!

Tim

ChrisKH

Guru
belairman said:
Chris, me too, and I get just the same experience with unexpected overtakes. Especially where there are two cars and I don't hear the second one over the noise of the first.

I haven't tried a helmet mirror but i've seen other posts which don't rate them because they vibrate a lot ???

I always thought some sort of helmet periscope might be good!

Tim

That, or a handlebar mounted Bazooka. ;)

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Uncle Phil said:
Ah, but will it fit on Ergos, I wonder?

No - STI only.

Still, looks interesting enough to try one if someone starts selling them over here.

Lone Rider

belairman said:
I bought one from Decathlon that fits in the end of my straight bars...
It gives a reasonable view, although the "head" is on a swivel and will drop off if knocked,

I got one of these, but I returned it as it isn't up to the job - I don't want it dropping off! My lbs had another type that works perfectly, and cost less!

OP
OP
A

andym

Über Member
Lone Rider said:
I got one of these, but I returned it as it isn't up to the job - I don't want it dropping off! My lbs had another type that works perfectly, and cost less!

I don't know about the Decathlon own brand, but the B&M swivel mount is pretty sturdy - survived being whacked and having the bike dropped on it.

Billloudon

ChrisKH said:
That, or a handlebar mounted Bazooka. :birthday:

Off thread a bit but does anyone else use the handlebars as Lasers?
Really useful for the cut ups and it stops the road rage when you "know" they have been vaporised.
Or is it just me?

Top Bottom