Gratuitous post in praise of mirrors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andym

Über Member
Just before my last trip I bought a Busch and Müller on an impulse. A bargain at less than £11 in my local Decathlon and one of the best £11's I've ever spent. I found it came into its own in situations where traffic or wind noise meant that I didn't get early warning of a car coming behind me. It was especially useful blasting downhill - with a quick glance I could check there was nothing on my Khyber Pass.

Before anyone upbraids me, no they're not a substitute for a good butcher's over your shoulder before turning right (or left, depending on where you are). Nor are they particularly useful for inner-city traffic. But for faster open roads [adopts Fast Show character voice]THEY'RE BRILLIANT!![back to normal voice].

hubbike

thanks andym, thats handy, I'm thinking of getting one. . .

Lone Rider

+1
I agree, since I started using a mirror I feel safer. When driving a car I glance into the mirror regularly, I now do the same while cycling.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I'll second this.

I never used mirrors until I got a recumbent. Really necessary on a 'bent because you can't so easily just duck your head around to see behind you.

Then I found I really missed having a mirror on all my other bikes, especially when used on a fast open road.

It's true that it's no substitute for a glance or a long stare at the traffic behind. But you do get tired on a busy road of looking over your shoulder at every approaching vehicle to get an idea of how big it is, how far away it's going to pass, is it pulling a trailer, etc. etc. You can see all this in a mirror at a glance.

Also handy when cycling with a companion - you don't have to keep visibly looking over your shoulder to see if they're keeping up!

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
They're the ones! They get walloped occasionally when going through narrow gaps (when I am carrying the trike) and the plastic arm gets a hairline crack which means you can't tighten them properly. Mine are now working again with copious gaffer tape. I bought two replacements and they both cracked in due course so I now just repair 'em.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Uncle Mort said:
I found this until I discovered the Mirrycle ones. I don't know if they're still going, but they are solid as a rock and easily adjustable with a non-standard allen key to stop them being nicked.

Those are what I used to use before I went to STI brake levers. I've never found anything satisfactory since, so I ended up giving up on mirrors entirely.

I can't be doing with anything that affects my grip on the brake hoods, so the velcro on jobbies are out, and anything on the bar ends is generally hidden behind my arm, with the result that it's just as quick and easy to glance round as it is to move my arm or peer round it.

SJSC still sold Mirrycles last time I looked, and the fairly widely sold Mountain Mirrycle (bar end) has interchangeable parts with the road Mirrycle.
The allen key is just an imperial one rather than metric: not very non-standard.

OP
OP
A

andym

Über Member
Auntie Helen said:
I like mirrors very much but I find they're a bit troublesome, like mudguards, and tend to need gaffer tape ministrations periodically.

The B&M one seems to be very sturdy and folds out of the way when you need it to. (EDIT - though I don't know how well it will stand up to being repeatedly whacked).

Velorum

I have a set of these on my old Dawes Flambeau - I like them

sprintech.jpg

belairman

I bought one from Decathlon that fits in the end of my straight bars. After some experimentation I have fitted it so it is below the handlebars, rather than above where it was in the way of my hand

It gives a reasonable view, although the "head" is on a swivel and will drop off if knocked, but it hasn't cracked yet (the "glass" is plastic)

It isn't a substitute for turning and looking when manoeuvering, but being deaf in one ear, I have trouble identifying the direction from which sound is coming, so if I hear a car it is easy to keep glancing at the mirror to see if it is behind me.

Anyway for less than a tenner it is worth having, and I dont worry about it being stolen.

Cheers - Tim

ChrisKH

Guru
belairman said:
I bought one from Decathlon that fits in the end of my straight bars. After some experimentation I have fitted it so it is below the handlebars, rather than above where it was in the way of my hand

It gives a reasonable view, although the "head" is on a swivel and will drop off if knocked, but it hasn't cracked yet (the "glass" is plastic)

It isn't a substitute for turning and looking when manoeuvering, but being deaf in one ear, I have trouble identifying the direction from which sound is coming, so if I hear a car it is easy to keep glancing at the mirror to see if it is behind me.

Anyway for less than a tenner it is worth having, and I dont worry about it being stolen.

Cheers - Tim

Likewise Tim - which one are you deaf in? I'm totally deaf in my right ear. Nothing like pootling along and then having a heart attack when someone overtakes unexpectedly. I also find I have constant neck ache these days as I have to look over my shoulder more than those that can hear in both ears. Must get a mirror; but which one? I have always fancied those small mirrors you can get to put on a helmet, but are they actually any good?

Top Bottom