Gratuitous post in praise of mirrors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
I'm one of those Americans who uses a helmet-mounted mirror. I've used both the Blackburn, and the Take-A-Look mirrors. (The Take-A-Look has been produced since the 1960s with no changes made.) I haven't found any disadvantage to them. An advantage is that with a helmet-mounted mirror, you can "sweep" behind you, simply by turning your head slightly. Now, I'm not saying that you'll be able to read a license plate with one, but, you'll certainly be able to tell what is there, and how much room he's giving you. Once you get used to it, you won't want to be without it.

I second what someone else said about this being the first "sensible" thread on mirrors.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I have a "CatsEye" mirror in the end of the bar on my hybrid Trek Valencia. When I ride another bike without a mirror I feel very strange.I wouldnt be without it now.

£10 from Halfords vibration is only a slight problem on very rough surface even then you can see if theres something behind just not as clearly.

Bashed it several times without breaking it.(I hope thats not tempting fate :-)

PpPete

Legendary Member
I used Mirrycle back in the days before non-aero brakes.

The allen-key was 9/64" bastard of a size anywhere to find if you lost one. Although if you went in to an industrial tool shop in France (rather their equiv of B&Q) you could buy a 3.5mm which is only a gnat's pubic hair different.

The mirrors were crap IMO. Arm got in the way of any kind of useful view. And constantly adjusting them, because if you leant against wall that put them out, and then you found you'd lost the b....y allen key again.

I'm thinking of the bar end ones (on the end of the drops) so I can more easily check on distance behind of family members. Any recommendations on brand of those?

OP
OP
A

andym

Über Member
porkypete said:
because if you leant against wall that put them out, and then you found you'd lost the b....y allen key again.

Ah but eventually you remember to turn the bike the other way round...

PpPete

Legendary Member
andym said:
Ah but eventually you remember to turn the bike the other way round...

Not me, too old to learn new tricks like that ... I always dismount on left, so naturally leant bike on side with mirror. Gave up in the end and sold the bloody things on t'bay.

Ashaman42

Über Member
I was a bit hesitant about getting a mirror but have found it really useful, I always do a 'lifesaver' over my shoulder before turning but for just checking if a car is sneaking up on me it's ideal.

Especially as I wear glasses and find I can't turn my head far enough to look through them and maintain a straight line so all I can see over my shoulder is a bit of a blur anyway.

I read the start of this post sitting in my tent in a little wood just outside Swiebodzin -restarted my personal debate on whether i should have a mirror - next day rode the E30 to frankfurt d oder - decided that i did not really want to know what was behind me

Top Bottom