Gravel bike from old MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
When I was planning it I had in my mind that this would be my "throw-away" bike - the pub bike, train station bike etc - one that I wouldn't mind losing. I've actually grown quite attached to it now though.

I did also think about slotting the hole for the skewer and I assume they haven't because it would mount in a variety of orientations dependent on seat-stay angles etc. Until it becomes a nuisance though I'll leave it as it is.
I built a "disposable" tourer a couple of years ago, based around a 1990's steel frame and fork.

At the latest count I have spent around £500 on it😳. New everything, pretty much. I'm not sure its disposable anymore!

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
When I was planning it I had in my mind that this would be my "throw-away" bike - the pub bike, train station bike etc - one that I wouldn't mind losing. I've actually grown quite attached to it now though.

I did also think about slotting the hole for the skewer and I assume they haven't because it would mount in a variety of orientations dependent on seat-stay angles etc. Until it becomes a nuisance though I'll leave it as it is.
That's fair - I'm in a vaguely similar situation with my old road bike with its cracked frame. I'm just running it into the ground as I know it'll die eventually, but I've looked after it and actually got a hell of a lot from it since discovering the damage as I know it's essentially worthless and on borrowed time so it's pushed me riding it in a lot of conditions I'd not otherwise have subjected it to. As such I've done far more riding this winter than ever before and have experienced what mild off-road is like on a drop-bar bike (not a whole lot of fun on 25c slicks tbh!).

I think there's so much to be said for having stuff that you don't care about too much - that's to say that you respect and maintain it but don't get prissy about if it gets dinged.

Good point about the plate - didn't think about the different dropout angles. From the forces you'd expect under braking it does appear that the webs along the bottom wouldn't nec. add a whole lot of additional strength in the relevant directions, although obviously everything has a limit and you'd not want to leave those remaining mounting lugs too thin. I'm guessing you could get away with a slot width that just accomodates the skewer rather than the whole axle..?

As you say, probably best to leave it as-is until it becomes an issue. Hopefully with some decent tyres punctures should be few and far between, although I guess given its application it might be handy to have the wheel off for cleaning too.

Last edited:

yo vanilla

A device called an A2Z Universal Disk Brake Adaptor - it clamps on the frame around the left-side dropout and provides IS caliper mounts. I had to fettle it a bit with a Dremel to make it fit and line-up properly. One downside is that although the rear wheel is QR, I have to completely remove the skewer to get the wheel off. So far I haven’t needed to do this yet though.

Would you mind showing a couple of close up pics of it installed?

OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
Would you mind showing a couple of close up pics of it installed?
896AC6DE-6243-46D6-98D6-F3C1BA398169.jpeg

Modified a bit to sit snugly.
D6C67082-DFBA-4F59-88BA-342278F04745.jpeg

A5EFF183-2B5A-4D30-B1E1-5E401AD6AEB6.jpeg

Gazjacko

I’m working on a GT disc MTB frame drop bars and currently single speed. I have the bits for a 1x9 but it’s Sram so I’d need to fit the Sram thumb shifter, any ideas?

OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
Well, it mounts onto the dropout of the frame using the bolts that hold the plates together. It is sold as being suitable for aluminium frames, since they tend to have flat dropouts; this is why I had to grind some bits off of it in places to make it fit around the contours of my steel frame and dropout. The QR skewer goes through it and adds additional clamping but the device is rigidly in place even with the wheel removed.

Coincidentally I had my first puncture on this bike last week and, as always, it was a the rear. The adaptor means you have to completely remove the QR skewer and it does make removing the axle from the dropouts a little fiddly, but it still came out OK, tube was replaced and wheel back in with no dramas.

I have recently replaced the pads at both ends - the brakes were OK but not that sharp so I went for sintered pads which has significantly improved retardation at the expense of a bit of squeal when cold/wet.

OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
I'm in something of a reflective mood today and came across this thread so thought I'd update. I still have this bike, still ride it regularly, still love riding it! I have made a coupe of additional upgrades since the first proof-of-concept build. I have changed the gearing from the original 34T x 11-36T to a 36T x 11-42T setup, so wider with some bigger gaps, but all the better for climbing without being too spinny on the flat. This required me to add a drop link to the derailleur to clear the big cog, but it all shifts sweetly. I also replaced the parallel road handlebars with some 12° flared ones, which have made a big difference, particularly to accessing the brake levers from the drops (plus I added the funky bar tape). I also had to run more external cabling to the derailleur to avoid some awkward bends and turns when using the frame bosses which was leading to excessive friction in the cables and poor shifting.

I've done just over 1,500 miles on it now, including some organised gravel sportives and on terrain from smooth road to deep mud (although more often than not on hardpack and gravel trails). The longest ride I have ever done on any bicycle ever was done on this bike - my one and only imperial century ride. It is still on its original 1997 BB.

FrankenTrek.jpg

This is the latest 'studio' shot I have of it - still on the old gearing, plus I have a bigger seatbag now too to hold spares etc. It gets a lot of love when out and about!

Top Bottom