Decisions, decisions...... 1994 Gt Zaskar LE update/upgrade options.

What should I do with this bike?

• Replace shifters and fix rear wheel then business as usual.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only fit disc brakes and the bits needed to make them work.

• Do a full drivetrain update to 9spd with the disc upgrade.

• Let's go all the way! 10 spd drivetrain and disc brakes to make this a 21st century fighter again!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
@I like Skol Quick question if you don't mind........I think from the poor picture of the bike I am getting that there may be slight surface rust/pitting on the fork stanchions. What would be the best way to clean it off? If I am happy with the bike I could upgrade them later but just looking to get it going initially.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Right, I have to typwe really quick coz I should have been on my way to work 5 minutes ago!

Done and ridden up and down the road.... BRILL. a couple of small tweaks still required but basically right out of the box.
014800x529_zps11d6a0ea.jpg

And this is the main reason for it all.......
005800x600_zps2df58b0a.jpg

Got to go, bye!

PS, expect no mercy! :evil:

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
@I like Skol Quick question if you don't mind........I think from the poor picture of the bike I am getting that there may be slight surface rust/pitting on the fork stanchions. What would be the best way to clean it off? If I am happy with the bike I could upgrade them later but just looking to get it going initially.
If the stanchions are chromed then wire wool or very fine wet & dry (1200 or 1600?) used wet should polish out the worst well enough to keep them going for a while.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Looking good. That rear converter looks the part !

It does doesn't it. I'd read good and bad things about them. Very much depends on the bike but that looks fine.
I am still not convinced that it is a great step for the frame to have a 6mm hole drilled through the dropout at the intersection of the rear triangle tubes but I am prepared to risk it and having seen the metal left after the surgery I am a bit more confident it will survive (besides,I am only a gentle rider :whistle:). It is a nicely made part and gives the bike a new lease of life. There is some amount of personal choice on where to drill the holes to get the best alignment and I probably deliberated for at least an hour before switching on the drill :sad:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Excellent job!

The reason I was looking at this old thread is that I was searching for info on Zaskars. My cousin has just been in touch about coming down for this year's Tour de Yorkshire. He is buying a 29er and asked if I would like to 'adopt' his current Zaskar! My old MTB has been out of action for a while and I was about to sort that out but since I will be getting the Zaskar, I think I will make my old bike a 1x11. There wouldn't really be any point in me owning 2 similar triple-chainset hardtails.

Top Bottom