Decisions, decisions...... 1994 Gt Zaskar LE update/upgrade options.

What should I do with this bike?

• Replace shifters and fix rear wheel then business as usual.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only fit disc brakes and the bits needed to make them work.

• Do a full drivetrain update to 9spd with the disc upgrade.

• Let's go all the way! 10 spd drivetrain and disc brakes to make this a 21st century fighter again!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

Put discs on the M4 start of this year ( compatible for Vs or discs) they re comming off for next year back to Vees for me, after 3 sets of pads they re a pain in the a**e.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Well, a compromise of sorts. I have fitted the alivio lever/shifters to get me back on the road and will monitor the rim wear issue (can't see any bulge yet but can feel the brakes grabbing at a certain spot). I have realised I have a set of LX 8spd shifter pods I fitted to my wifes bike many years ago and these have had little use so can be swapped with my new alivio ones should I decide to revisit the disc conversion in the new year. In the mean time I am off out to brave the hail and wind to get a few miles on the MTB and check out the sweet gear shifts I should have now :cold:

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
OK folks. It's been a long time coming but the MTB did it's final trip today (Llandegla, which was fabulous) and is about to be stripped ready for its rebuild.

A quick weigh-in before the dismemberment begins shows a healthy 13.1kgs/28.7lbs. Weight loss isn't the aim here but it will be interesting to see if this goes up or down.

I finally opted for full Shimano XT. The only exception is an M442 chainset as I prefer square taper cranks over the Hollowtech II system which hasn't shown good bearing life on my commuter hybrid. I am going to ditch the 22T granny ring and run a 32/44 chainset with 9spd 11-34 cassette to give me a slightly lower gear over my old 28T granny-28T cassette. Added into the mix are Mavic XM719 rims, DT competition spokes, Truvativ flat bar and matching stem and a Charge Spoon saddle.

I'm going in! Hold my beer and watch this...........

Last edited:
OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
:thumbsup:JE James have Deore LX m570 chain sets for £29.99 (square taper and will require a 110mm or 113mm BB)
I've already bought all the bits and got THIS but the JE James site has THIS which is confusing! Is it XT or LX? For an XT marked crank I might be persuaded to buy one for completeness. Actually, a bit more reading suggests the XT cranks are Octalink :stop:

Option 1. You already know it is the best way. You are only asking us to test our faith.

I have a 1991 rigid Kona (8-speed cassette and canti brakes) and two newer MTBs (both hardtails, one V-brake and one hydraulic disc). I am allowed that many because I have children who steal them. They cover about 25 years of MTB evolution between them and all are excellent in their own way.

The Kona is the closest to your GT, although maybe my aluminium V-Braked Trek (Circa 2000) is also similar. Both would be daft with discs or other flashy parts.

If you take this lovely old jewel into the world of disc brakes, you will regret it. They are better, but you also lose a lot by fitting them. Stay with the V-brake set-up!

This is a tool for smashing over the ground. Spend enough to keep it pure, keep it simple and keep it strong.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
If you take this lovely old jewel into the world of disc brakes, you will regret it. They are better, but you also lose a lot by fitting them. Stay with the V-brake set-up!

This is a tool for smashing over the ground. Spend enough to keep it pure, keep it simple and keep it strong.
Too late for that I'm afraid! All the bits are sat on my bench waiting to go on. The front wheel has just been tensioned and I will see if I have time to do the rear later today. XT disc brakes are the tool of choice.

The poll was started in Dec 2011 :thumbsup:

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'll try and get some as I go along. Frame sat next to my desk at work as I type and wheels completed with tyres, discs and cassette hung in my 'room' at home. I toyed with the idea of doing a fully pictorialised build thread but as I don't often read anyone elses I figured who would be bothered about mine?

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
GTFrame003_zps41874f77.jpg

P1020976800x600_zpsf7299a3c.jpg

Cubist

Still wavin'
I'll try and get some as I go along. Frame sat next to my desk at work as I type and wheels completed with tyres, discs and cassette hung in my 'room' at home. I toyed with the idea of doing a fully pictorialised build thread but as I don't often read anyone elses I figured who would be bothered about mine?
I would.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I am also keen to see how it turns out and would love to see pics. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom