Decisions, decisions...... 1994 Gt Zaskar LE update/upgrade options.

What should I do with this bike?

• Replace shifters and fix rear wheel then business as usual.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only fit disc brakes and the bits needed to make them work.

• Do a full drivetrain update to 9spd with the disc upgrade.

• Let's go all the way! 10 spd drivetrain and disc brakes to make this a 21st century fighter again!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Oh hell yeah. There will be pictures of the finished beast. I just won't be doing a 'I fitted this, then I inserted that and tightened it up with the special bit' type story. Besides, it's a bit late for taking a 'before' picture :whistle:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
+1

Bikes have come a long way since 1994. What you think is a good ride now might seem like a horror story if you were to try a new bike.

What ever. Still love my 90's road bikes (2 of) and my "pre suspension" MTB. New bikes don't have the same 'class'.

It's the rider that counts, and giving skolly a full bouncer would be madness, he'd be riding down building walls, rather than steep staircases as he does ! ^_^ :evil::evil:

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
OK, I have been busy for the last couple of weeks with builders, plasterers and decorating but got a chance to do some bike stuff today. I admit I may have got a bit carried away. An intended quick rub over of the tatty frame with wire wool, just to get rid of the grime and worst of the marks turned into a full-on @fossyant cleaning session involving wire wool for starters, a few hours with rags and Brasso for main course, followed by a desert of Magnolia and Cherry Mr Sheen.
The frame was transformed from this-
Frame01800x491_zps2815945b.jpg

to this-
Frame02_zps05900a92.jpg

Frame03_zpsb896afbd.jpg

Frame04_zpsee576f26.jpg

I think you will have to agree, well worth the sweat?

Tomorrow I hope to start hanging new bits on this lovely polished beauty.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
That looks great, will almost be a shame to get it dirty ^_^
I know, but I'm sure I'll get over it. I have planned regular cleaning sessions for the bike this time...... The first one is booked in for 2020 :whistle:

@I like Skol Amazing. I've just purchased an old Claud Butler Cape Wrath for the princely sum of £72 from ebay with a silver frame so what you have done gives me hope that it will clean up well too. :thumbsup:
Be warned, it is pretty hard physically and takes time! Fortunately the Brasso didn't appear to damage the decals much. I simply rubbed up to the edge of them and the black, aluminium laden, gunk wiped off while still damp without staining the plastic. I tested this on an inconspicuous spot first. Good luck with yours, it is very satisfying to sit back and admire the finished product.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Excellent. Results well worth the trouble.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Skolly's got me started. The decals on my Diamond Back are getting a little tired - started lifting some years ago. Just ordered some replacement decals. Just test removed one set on the non-drive side chainstay - hair dryer and just pealed off. Surface under is sound. New ones ordered !

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Lots done today but ran out of time due to Halloween commitments. Bike is rolling but needs chain and brakes. Will post some pics in the morning, absolutely loving the brown saddle............

Did get distracted in the afternoon building up a bike for my 10yr old :whistle:
It's a Frankenstein with disc brakes and 2 x 8 gears on a home made 11-32 cassette and home made 'compact' 22-38 chainset. Waiting for the XT centrelock discs to arrive.

Top Bottom