Gravel Bike Riders.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rain drops

I hesitate to raise the issue because I'm sure there is an abundance of 'bees in bonnets', but- Why do Gravel bike riders seem to find it necessary to always appear to blast along at warp speed over rough stony tracks? It's as though they are on a mission! If any of us 'normal' mountain bikers wanted to beat ourselves up in such a way, we'd lock out our suspension and join them, but that isn't the point of us being there. (Rough stony tracks are just access to or from technical places.)

It isn't as if we haven't been there and done that (old 80's rigid bone shaker so called mountain bikes, though not with dropped bars). We still have the bruises, and couldn't wait to be shot of them. Do those gravel zombies with their ever so poker faces (to hide the pain?) really think they are showing us 'over biked' mountain bike suckers what life is all about?

I get the fact that they are faster on the road, though not by that much, but does that really make up for the sheer torture of blurred vision, spitting blood from bitten tongues, and broken expensive false teeth, from the clattering jolts and shocks of rough stone covered tracks? Not b***** likely. (In my opinion.)

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Oh dear we have woken up a bit grumpy🤣

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Rain drops perhaps you should read your post again and you might realise with a few changes it could be written by one cyclist against any other group of cyclists.

I'm a cyclist and walker. I ride road and gravel and used to commute. At one time or another I've observed very rude and ignorant behaviour by cyclists of every persuasion. This is how some individuals behave it doesn't make every roadie, gravel rider, MTBer, commuter rude and ignorant which is the thrust of your post towards gravel riders..

You display an arrogance in suggesting MTBers are in some way superior to these hooligan gravel riders who you view with disdain. Probably an idea to consider the impression this leaves of yourself.

Last edited:

figbat

Slippery scientist
Sorry, I didn’t realise there were bike-specific speed limits. If you could point me to the appropriate section of the code that covers this I’ll adapt accordingly.

Otherwise I’ll ride whatever bike I want on whatever surface I want at whatever speed I want, being courteous to other PROW users as appropriate.

D

Deleted member 26715

Sorry, I didn’t realise there were bike-specific speed limits. If you could point me to the appropriate section of the code that covers this I’ll adapt accordingly.

Otherwise I’ll ride whatever bike I want on whatever surface I want at whatever speed I want, being courteous to other PROW users as appropriate.

I'm with @figbat with this, we are all cyclists no need for labels, ride what you want however you want as long as you do it safely and respectfully with in regards to other people.
My response was tongue in cheek as I wasn't sure the OP was actually serious, however the 2 highlighted parts are the issue, there is a group of riders who feel entitled to do as they please, when they please, under whatever circumstances they want, with complete disregards for others. Although I am pretty sure that is what they are like all the time & at the point of observation they just happen to be riding a bike.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
My response was tongue in cheek as I wasn't sure the OP was actually serious, however the 2 highlighted parts are the issue, there is a group of riders who feel entitled to do as they please, when they please, under whatever circumstances they want, with complete disregards for others. Although I am pretty sure that is what they are like all the time & at the point of observation they just happen to be riding a bike.

Nail on the head with this post and I feel the highlighted sentence is very true. There are self-entitled people in every walk of life.

Top Bottom