Gravel Bike Riders.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
About the MTBers, are you saying we should not pass them.

We're simply saying you should show proper respect for your elders and betters. It's not much to ask ... :whistle:

D

Deleted member 26715

I think you haven't read my post properly. I SLOW DOWN FOR WALKERS. I slow even more down for horse riders. If need be I stop for both. About the MTBers, are you saying we should not pass them. Did I not say I GIVE WARNING TO MTBers BEFORE I PASS THEM. I will

Oops me thinks the gravel bike rider doth protest too much & a nerve was twinged

Venod

Eh up
MTB cranks are much smaller then cranks on gravel bikes.

In my experience MTB cranks are usually 175mm which is long in my book, they are this length to give a bigger advantage going up, of course you can fit any length of crank to suite your position and style of peddaling, I have bikes with 170 172.5 and a 175 all are capable of a decent speed in the right gear.

alex_cycles

Veteran
In my experience MTB cranks are usually 175mm which is long in my book, they are this length to give a bigger advantage going up, of course you can fit any length of crank to suite your position and style of peddaling, I have bikes with 170 172.5 and a 175 all are capable of a decent speed in the right gear.

I think he meant the size of the chain rings (just a guess as it's the only way it makes sense to me:wacko:)

Last edited:
I think he meant the size of the chain rings (just a guess as it's the only way it makes sense to me:wacko:)

I was trying to think of the right word when writing it and had a feeling I got it wrong. Thank you for correcting me

Yeah - perfectly reasonable, but, as you said, it wouldn't make any difference to speed - so he's wrong either way, it's just a question of which way :laugh:

Most of the current mountain bikes I have seen recently have a much smaller single chainring than the chainring on a gravel bike. I can remember cycling on a gravel bike with a group of friends in Kielder. We all had gravel bikes except one who was riding a Santa Cruz mountain bike if I remember correctly. Riding down the single tracks all of us gravel bike riders bounced about and tried to keep our bikes upright but the mountain biker with his front and rear suspension just glided down and beat us to the bottom. It was all tarmac on the way back to where we were staying and we all had to keep slowing down to let the mountain biker catch up.

alex_cycles

Veteran
Most of the current mountain bikes I have seen recently have a much smaller single chainring than the chainring on a gravel bike. I can remember cycling on a gravel bike with a group of friends in Kielder. We all had gravel bikes except one who was riding a Santa Cruz mountain bike if I remember correctly. Riding down the single tracks all of us gravel bike riders bounced about and tried to keep our bikes upright but the mountain biker with his front and rear suspension just glided down and beat us to the bottom. It was all tarmac on the way back to where we were staying and we all had to keep slowing down to let the mountain biker catch up.

Yes chainring size can make a difference to your top speed (but, within normal range, crank length doesn't, as users will change their cadence and gearing to whatever 'feels right'). Also on the road, the huge nobbly tyres and upright position - not to mention the extra weight of the MTB will contribute.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

That's the weighty fat tyres that do that. Pop some Rocket Rons on an XC orientated MTB and it won't be much slower. Trail and Enduro MTB's won't be quicker on the flat or uphill (unless technical) due to the tyre size.

Gravel (cross) bikes sit in the middle of road bikes and MTB's. Iv'e not got one (yet) although one would be great for my current commute (canal).

D

Deleted member 26715

I'm sure a MTB with a decent engine will keep up with a road/gravel bike with a clapped out engine whatever tyres, crank length, or chain ring are installed.

Top Bottom