"gravel bike" tyres in 27"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeymustard

Veteran
I have a resprayed Carlton tru well frame (which i bought ages ago cos i felt sorry for it) hung in my garage.
I've had the thought of making it into more of a gravel style racer: nothing too ruffty-tuffty, just able to cope with the odd track or flat-ish common. Are there any tyres in 27" that might cope with a bit of mud or wet grass?
I could go for 700c hybrid or 29er wheels but that would probably involve sourcing long reach brakes and more expense, but OTOH I could then use a Claris set (apart from the brakes) I've just acquired, and modernise it at the same time.
Anyone got any thoughts on this?

midlife

Guru
Schwalbe do some 27 X 1" 1/4 tyres with deeper tread I think?

OP
OP
mikeymustard

mikeymustard

Veteran
I use them. It copes with the odd bit of gravel, sand or mud OK but they're not the greatest on wet grass and I wouldn't take it on serious MTB terrain.
Definitely not intending any more than gentle trails :smile:
@biggs682 I was going to ask if anyone had any experience of these
but then I found the review underneath from a well known Wellingborough resident, aged 45-54 ;)
I've put the Schwalbes on my partner's Purple Ronnie bike; I guess they're cheap enough to give them a try - besides I've just discovered I already have one in my stash!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Definitely not intending any more than gentle trails :smile:
@biggs682 I was going to ask if anyone had any experience of these
but then I found the review underneath from a well known Wellingborough resident, aged 45-54 ;)
I've put the Schwalbes on my partner's Purple Ronnie bike; I guess they're cheap enough to give them a try - besides I've just discovered I already have one in my stash!
Yeah i tried them on Wester Ross bike with new pictures 08/03 they were ok , but in hindsight they quite heavy .

I would think they have better fairy protection than the Schwalbes but only come with black sidewalls :sad:

No idea who that reviewer could be :blush:

OP
OP
mikeymustard

mikeymustard

Veteran
Yeah i tried them on Wester Ross bike with new pictures 08/03 they were ok , but in hindsight they quite heavy .

I would think they have better fairy protection than the Schwalbes but only come with black sidewalls :sad:

No idea who that reviewer could be :blush:
Nor me but he is "passionate and obsessive" lol
Yep, as long as you can get those Schwalbes for less than a tenner each they're ridiculous value, I think they were about £12 inc. a pair trade when I got them for Purple Ronnie :smile: - great value if you've got a few other things to buy to offset postage. I can't honestly say the tread, such as it is, will do much, but I'm not expecting to compete in downhills on them.
I've got a pair of Bontrager All Weathers that I could also try, they look massive compared to other 27x1 1/4s I have (admittedly not helped initially by the fact i was comparing them to some 27x1" tyres :rolleyes:), both in width and height. They claim to have "Advanced tread design with rain shedding siping and patterns", which under normal circs I would think was BS but given the size of them I could actually believe they suffer aquaplaning!

Top Bottom