Gravel Bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rykard

Veteran
Hi
as above gravel bikes? discuss.

The roads around here are getting pretty bad, as most places, and I have two bikes that I ride, an old rigid scott mtb(heavy) and a merida speedster(lighter), I would ideally like something between the two and these new gravel bikes seem to fit the bill.
What sort of budget should i be looking at?
are they worth the money
anyone got any experience of one?

cheers

PK99

Legendary Member
The specailized tricross, was essentially a Gravel bike and demonstrated a market for Cyclocross-like bikes with road bike bells and whistles.

Gravel bikes have the robustness for off road but the geometry of a road bike for speed and handling on the road

I'm on my third tricross (currently disc elite) and would have no hesitation going for a Gravel bike next time. Absolutely ideal for crappy tarmac, gravel towpath or forest trail.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I've also got a Tricross and also the disc elite version - brilliant commuter bike, I go over everything on it, I did wreck the rear wheel on it quite quickly though, gave me the excuse of putting some hand builts on it :smile:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Are they slower? That's always what annoys me about riding over gravel, which I've done on road bikes, hybrids, roadsters and MTBs, but I've not tried cyclocross (which seem pretty aggressive riding position that I'm not sure about for longer rides) or gravel bikes.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I purchased a Giant Revolt for family rides towing a tagalong and for winter/wet weather commuting.

It is a little slower and it is quite heavy compared to my Defy but overall it is very comfortable, fast enough on the road and copes well with rough roads. I've enjoyed hooning along tracks and trails I'd never take the Defy on as well. It's been a delight to ride.

Keep toying with the idea of swapping the Smart Sam 35c tyres for 28c tyres, but I can't really get around to it.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Are they slower? That's always what annoys me about riding over gravel, which I've done on road bikes, hybrids, roadsters and MTBs, but I've not tried cyclocross (which seem pretty aggressive riding position that I'm not sure about for longer rides) or gravel bikes.

I'm slightly slower on mine than when I am on the Allez, distance wise I've done up to 125 mile rides on the Tricross.

Venod

Eh up
Are they slower?

I have bagged several road KOM's on Cyclocross bikes, they respond well to sudden acceleration. I think gravel bikes geometry is slightly different but I don't think it will make much difference.

Last edited:

Simontm

Veteran
I'm on the Diverge A1 Sport which has served me well since last November. It's not a pure cyclocross and there has been times that the 30c tyres haven't quite done the job on winter mud paths but am quite happy on gravel, tow paths etc. No idea whether it should be classed as a gravel bike but it does take me most places.
It also does my commute and the Ride London 100 in the Summer and the only problem I had with speed was, er, me! ^_^

mustang1

Guru
Hi
as above gravel bikes? discuss.

The roads around here are getting pretty bad, as most places, and I have two bikes that I ride, an old rigid scott mtb(heavy) and a merida speedster(lighter), I would ideally like something between the two and these new gravel bikes seem to fit the bill.
What sort of budget should i be looking at?
are they worth the money
anyone got any experience of one?

cheers
I read your post as:

I fancy a new bike. Say, those new gravel bikes seem right up my alley. The marketing has almost convinced me I need one, now I need just a touch more encouragement to nip of to the bike shop....
:smile:

I bought a couple of cx bikes (just like gravel bikes) some years ago and they're great on the potholed commute combined with off road that my commute can take me on.

Bicycle quarterly recently ran a test on a spesh diverge and they rather liked it.

The bikes I bought were bottom of their respective ranges: a Focus Mares and a spesh tricross. I like the focus far better out of the box because it has more road oriented brakes, no fork shudder during braking, and gear ratios which were more suitable for my 90% road riding.

Both were under aa grand (each) kitted out with pedals, lights, rack, fenders.

What is the difference between a CX and a gravel bike?
Many of the "gravel bikes" seem to lack rack and mudguard fittings which is odd in a non-competition "adventure" bike

Venod

Eh up
Many of the "gravel bikes" seem to lack rack and mudguard fittings which is odd in a non-competition "adventure" bike

Yes I have also noticed this, I think they could lose a few sale's because of it, why not put them on all cross biikes as well plenty of clearance for guards, you don't have to use them.

Yes I have also noticed this, I think they could lose a few sale's because of it, why not put them on all cross biikes as well plenty of clearance for guards, you don't have to use them.
Certainly all sub £1000 models. Elite race CX bikes need to shed mud, but how many of the bikes are actually raced?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I read your post as:

I fancy a new bike. Say, those new gravel bikes seem right up my alley. The marketing has almost convinced me I need one, now I need just a touch more encouragement to nip of to the bike shop....
:smile:

I bought a couple of cx bikes (just like gravel bikes) some years ago and they're great on the potholed commute combined with off road that my commute can take me on.

Bicycle quarterly recently ran a test on a spesh diverge and they rather liked it.

The bikes I bought were bottom of their respective ranges: a Focus Mares and a spesh tricross. I like the focus far better out of the box because it has more road oriented brakes, no fork shudder during braking, and gear ratios which were more suitable for my 90% road riding.

Both were under aa grand (each) kitted out with pedals, lights, rack, fenders.

I think there was a design fault on the earlier Tricross models? I sure @potsy has commented about this before.

Top Bottom