Gravel Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Bugger, missed the drama...

My most popular ride is on a greenaway nearby, I see people moving faster than me all the time but I've rarely felt aggravated by them.

The only people that have annoyed my are the odd idiot on a scooter or quad bike which are explicitly banned from the greenaway.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Wasn't/isn't 'gravel' a handy name for the do-it-all bikes initially called 'CX' - 'cyclo-cross' - bikes that the brands started promoting in order to sell more bikes in the early noughties?

DRM

Guru
Wasn't/isn't 'gravel' a handy name for the do-it-all bikes initially called 'CX' - 'cyclo-cross' - bikes that the brands started promoting in order to sell more bikes in the early noughties?

No, CX bikes have a more aggressive race oriented geometry, may not have bottle bosses fitted, may not be able to fit much more than a UCI race legal 33mm tyre, gravel bikes are fitted with lots of bosses, usual spot on the down & seat tube, and on the forks/under the down tube, will take much wider tyres and be fitted with flared drop handlebars, initially designed to be used on the unsurfaced gravel roads found in the USA.

Top Bottom