Gravel biking wake up call

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smoggie

Hi all - recently bought a gravel bike. Yesterday I had my first couple of "offs" - one quite pathetic when I couldn't get my foot out of the SPD in time and the other quite a spectacular "over the handlebar" effort. The trails were quite saturated and there was a lot of deep mud - maybe a little bit more training and respect for the terrain - all good fun though despite a cut ear, bruised hip and pulled groin :laugh:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Flat pedals and normal stout outdoor footwear would have almost certainly prevented the first one.

cheys03

Veteran
all good fun though despite a cut ear, bruised hip and pulled groin :laugh:
Sounds that you’re getting used to the bike’s ‘character’ and could have been a whole lot worse if the injuries were reversed - pulled hip and bruised groin sounds no fun at all!

Hi all - recently bought a gravel bike. Yesterday I had my first couple of "offs" - one quite pathetic when I couldn't get my foot out of the SPD in time and the other quite a spectacular "over the handlebar" effort. The trails were quite saturated and there was a lot of deep mud - maybe a little bit more training and respect for the terrain - all good fun though despite a cut ear, bruised hip and pulled groin :laugh:
Glad you are ok-ish!
You are not alone, I was off the gravel bike within a few months of getting it, then realised I was not on the MTB as having so much fun. Learnt a few more skills in the intervening three years for sure.

OP
OP
smoggie

smoggie

Glad you're okay and not put off.

And now the important question: was the bike damaged?
haha - yeah the bikes ok.... that was my first thought as I hit the deck :laugh:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I agree - I'm not sure if I could get used to clipless, flat pedals...but now that I'm thinking about it - when I went over the handlebars, I stayed attached which is not sucha great thing. Can't believe I'm 60 and still working out how to fall^_^
Well I'm 67 and still fall off on gravel rides! It sounds as though you need to back off the tension on your pedals. I don't often fall off on road or gravel but I always unclip as it happens whether I'm in control or not.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Indeed. As long as you're using single-release cleats, I have never, not even on the fixed, needed more than minimum tension on the pedals.
I missed minimising the tension on one side of one new pedal. I was randomly ok until I got to a stupidly steep hill which I decided to walk up, when I randomly wasn't! :laugh:

Exactly the same for me and the only time unclipped failed was when I lost a screw. Fell off!
A friend of mine had that happen. We were a long way from home so we made sure that his pedal tensions were as low as possible, tightened the remaining screw as much as possible, and kept reminding him to unclip the other foot first!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The trails were quite saturated and there was a lot of deep mud - maybe a little bit more training and respect for the terrain
Fellow gravel bike rider here :hello:

I think maybe you need to choose your lines a bit more carefully. Deep mud is best avoided on an MTB and definitely should be skipped around when on a gravel/cx bike.

As for SPD pedals, just keep practicing. I set mine to max tension so I don't come unclipped during tricky maneuvers. Strangely I have NEVER failed to separate from my bike when falling off in a multitude of different ways..... :wacko:

Top Bottom