Gravel biking wake up call

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Must admit, I loosened off the SPD's after the first spill ^_^
Opens up a new world does gravel biking .. and I was a committed roadie for yonks :okay:
Absolutely. I was getting tired of riding roads I knew like the back of my hand, gravel riding up a new world and rekindled my cycling enthusiasm.

OP
OP
smoggie

smoggie

Absolutely. I was getting tired of riding roads I knew like the back of my hand, gravel riding up a new world and rekindled my cycling enthusiasm.
This was my thinking too. Apart from the bumps and bruises, I'm aching in a few different places.
I love the appeal of riding tracks and not worrying about cars.

Kajjal

Guru
It is also good for covering longer distances than a mountain bike unless things get fairly rough and technical. I do a 50 miles ride which is mainly off road and the road sections fly by. On a mountain bike with big knobbly tyres it would not be as good but still enjoy mountain biking a lot.

OP
OP
smoggie

smoggie

It is also good for covering longer distances than a mountain bike unless things get fairly rough and technical. I do a 50 miles ride which is mainly off road and the road sections fly by. On a mountain bike with big knobbly tyres it would not be as good but still enjoy mountain biking a lot.
I'm surprised how easy the climbs feel - I'm sure it's not only down to my level of fitness.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I usually have the opposite problem... My SPD cleat screws end up rusted in so I can't get them out!

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Up until I bought my gravel bike, I always used SPD pedals. When I bought the Kona secondhand, the original owner had fitted it with DRM v12 flat pedals and I had every intention of swapping them for my SPD pedals. Except I found that loved riding with them, I can wear any shoes I want and the pins on the pedal ensure my feet stay put, so they have ended up staying on the bike till this day.

With modern gravel bikes (especially on big tyres) it's easy to find their limits abruptly as they're so comfortable on flowy stuff. Easy to forget they don't have the travel/compliance to take the really rough stuff at speed so hit a lumpy section too fast and all you can do is try to float through and hope for the best... or bail.

As for pedals, I've used single-sided SPDs on cross and gravel bikes for years. Great for hopping on the bike in normal shoes but even better on sketchy/slidy sections where you're better being unclipped, especially if the bike's loaded up. EH500s are the faves (improvement on A530s due to grip from the pins), albeit with added shin-shredding potential on the flat side.

Can sympathise with your SPD-induced off as still remember riding to school on early SPDs when I was still training, slowing for a level crossing and just coming to a stop as I got the dreaded 'click' of doom. Cue the slow motion topple and flipped-tortoise routine in front of a load of girls from the all-girls school round the corner! They enjoyed it; me, not so much. Youthful blushes and all that.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
My gravel bike gets the most use of my fleet. I like that I can do a mostly road route or an entirely off-road route and it feels like it belongs. I can also link up roads with tracks to make new routes that a road bike can’t do and a MTB would be wrong for.

Of course, that’s what touring bikes have always been able to do, not being limited by tyre width like road bikes.

figbat

Slippery scientist
As for pedals, I've used single-sided SPDs on cross and gravel bikes for years. Great for hopping on the bike in normal shoes but even better on sketchy/slidy sections where you're better being unclipped, especially if the bike's loaded up. EH500s are the faves (improvement on A530s due to grip from the pins), albeit with added shin-shredding potential on the flat side.
I have PD-M324s on my gravel bike (and on my hardtail too) - same reasoning; I can ride in normal shoes if I need to plus in really tricky terrain I can unclip, flip the pedal over and ride untethered as far as I feel I need to. In truth though I rarely do use the flat side.

Top Bottom