Gravel biking wake up call

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I can't get them out to put any grease on them! :laugh:

(Yes, I know - pre-emptive greasing...)

I say this because after a major post winter overhaul of my recumbent; I discovered which bolts I hadn’t greased. One bolt had to be drilled out, very very carefully.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Actually - I am thinking of my previous pair of SPD shoes. I might still be able to get the bolts out on the new shoes. I'll be back... :whistle:

PS Nope... too late! I forgot that they had got stuck in place and I have already rounded off the hexagonal holes in the heads trying to undo the bolts. :laugh:

Fortunately:
  1. The cleats are in the correct positions.
  2. MTB SPD cleats last forever, or near enough. For me, they outlive the shoes.
  3. Rusted-in bolts don't spontaneously come loose!

Last edited:

Sallar55

Veteran
Here is a tip if you use mtb clip less pedals on all bikes, change your cleats from road bike shoes when they are part worn over to the shoes you use on the gravel bike. I use time atak pedals that have no adjustment for release.

cheys03

Veteran
I also prefer Time ATAC pedals, and they do have release adjustment! The cleats wear pretty fast when walking on them. After a few tens of KM the pedals release much easier, intentional or not 😉

Sallar55

Veteran
I also prefer Time ATAC pedals, and they do have release adjustment! The cleats wear pretty fast when walking on them. After a few tens of KM the pedals release much easier, intentional or not 😉
Think you need new shoes if the cleats are proud of the rubber sole🤔

cheys03

Veteran
You make a good point. The cleats on my Shimano sandals wore the waaay faster than those on my shoes. The cleats are more exposed on the sandals, even when they were new (and were a lot more slippery to walk on as a consequence).

OP
OP
smoggie

smoggie

Exactly as the same as me. :okay:

With regards to the OP….. Glad you’re enjoying the gravel bike.
Hi there - yes, I'm loving the Gravel bike. I went for the Planet X Tempest after much deliberation. It's a lovely bike and definitely a keeper!! I was out on the road bike the other day and thoroughly enjoyed that too. The variation in styles has definitely reinvigorated my motivation and enjoyment

Top Bottom