Gravel Build - Holdsworth Zagora

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Proper test ride today, on some trails which where very muddy, a nice climb up Werneth Low and a fast descent.

The route along the Trans Pennine Trail from Woodley to Godley is the section of track that made me realise I wanted a Gravel bike, so it was nice to include that.

I was really impressed with how responsive the bike it, it really doesn't mind being thrown about, handles the uneven ground and tracks perfectly and feels comfortable on the roads.

Just need to get the gear shifting into muscle memory and get the brakes fine tuned, but they handles the steep descent fine today.

Milzy

Guru
So cool. I should have done the same instead of buying a heavy long off the shelf Arkose.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
So cool. I should have done the same instead of buying a heavy long off the shelf Arkose.

There are plenty of compromises I had to make on this build over a something like your Arkose and I am sure yours weighs a fair bit less, b fore fitting the SQR block I think I weighed this in at about 14kg.

I could shave some weight swapping the wheels and saddle but the 5kg this has over new bikes is fairly inconsequential to the overall rider / bike weight.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Pushed the bike (and me) even further today still went up Werneth Low but this time via bridal ways and byways. Looped down through Etherow and then over another old bridal way to Marple then home via Bongs Road. All in all a great ride.

This pushed my skills to the limit, but the bike did not let me down. Had to hike a bike part of a section described in Kamoot as "a bit tricky in the wet" double digit gradients on thick mud and wet leaves = impossible in my book.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Final update of the year. Well no changes but some planned ones.

I am going to look to replace the mini-v with full sized v brakes to get a bit more braking power. Plus I'll need to swap the levers out.

Additionally I have also got some combo flat / SPD pedals incoming which should be fab.

Hopefully get one more ride in this year before Lunch.

Also going to stick this gear inch chart here so I can find it.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
So today was the test ride with the new full sized Deore V-Brakes and the Tektro RL520 levers, it made a big difference. The weather was horrible and I spend quite a bit of time on some very muddy and rocky bridleways and the brakes felt like I had plenty of control.

I need to get them set up a bit better as I was getting a little rubbing after a while on the rear, but all in all very happy.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Defo better to be rid of the mini V's, you'll gte more power and control from proper V's.

First time I have seen shifters like that, but they do the job. Its like someone thought wonder if I can move my downtube shifters to the handle bars :laugh:

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Defo better to be rid of the mini V's, you'll gte more power and control from proper V's.

First time I have seen shifters like that, but they do the job. Its like someone thought wonder if I can move my downtube shifters to the handle bars :laugh:

The shifters are really cool. They are Kelly Takeoffs which a member of the CTC forum offered me very cheap when I was planning this build.

https://www.kellybike.com/product/takeoff-shift-lever-mount/

I ride on the hoods 90% of the time and the tops the rest I never ride in the drops so for me they are perfect. Quite easy to fit upgraded shifters if I want to go to 8,9,10 speed.

Not quite got the friction shifting on the front into muscle memory yet.

T4tomo

Legendary Member

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Ok, so now for something a bit different. Now running 700c wheels with 25mm tyres and caliper brakes, hopefully this will be the sweetspot for my Manchester to Blackpool charity ride in July.

These wheels are temporary the rear rim has a bit of a gouge in it, seems safe enough for a few rides but I have some new wheels incoming. New calipers and back to normal brake levers work well together, both from tektro.

Will report back after tomorrows commute.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Little update on the Holdsworth.

As mentioned on the fettle thread, I've done a bit more work on the bike over the last 3 months, mostly maintenance, but looked to upgrade where possible. The most important being the Spa Touring triple which is brilliant.

I did the Manchester to Blackpool ride yesterday for the Christie Hospital and it performed superb, didn't even need the little ring.

Happy with the speed in the heat and raised £300.

IMG_20220710_063850.jpg

IMG_20220710_164001.jpg

Top Bottom