Gravel Build - Holdsworth Zagora

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
After finishing the Pannonia I decided I wanted the next project to be a gravel style build. I know I know.

I have been debating between using an old road bike frame or an old mountain bike but found this locally and it really caught my eye. It's a Holdsworth Zagora with Reynolds 500 frame tubes and 26 inch wheels. Perfect size for me and the guy dropped it off at my house all for £25.

Plans are to fit drop handlebars and a 1 X drive trail, looking to use some of the alternative brands out there so see how they are. I already have some of the stuff so hopping to really get a move on with it and get it in action over the winter.

Taken the cranks off so I can see what BB it has and work out if I need to replace.

Anyway a few pics.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks like a good basis for a gravel bike. Check out the many YouTube videos for tips. Good luck.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
You may already know this, but the brakes on that will be linear pull, so if you switch to drop bars, you need Tektro RL520 brake levers, AFAIK the only (or certainly most common) drop bar levers that have linear / direct pull. Regular Road "brifters" wont pull enough cable to operate them properly.

Then for shifting you need a bar end shifter. Microshift do 10&11spd ones both road and MTB derailleur compatible versions. You might only be able to get up to a 10spd cassette on those wheels? sticking with MTB compatibility might be a sound idea, long cage RD to enable a wider range cassette on the back.

The alternative re the brakes is to buy some "road" Canti's like Shimano BR-CX50, which is more expensive route to go, but enables you to run with "modern" brifters and under bar-tape aero cabling etc. and then you defo do need a Road compatible RD.

You will also need a brake hanger or a fork bridge up-hanger as that looks to have the brake hanger through the stem, but that is easily sorted.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
You may already know this, but the brakes on that will be linear pull, so if you switch to drop bars, you need Tektro RL520 brake levers, AFAIK the only (or certainly most common) drop bar levers that have linear / direct pull. Regular Road "brifters" wont pull enough cable to operate them properly.

Then for shifting you need a bar end shifter. Microshift do 10&11spd ones both road and MTB derailleur compatible versions. You might only be able to get up to a 10spd cassette on those wheels? sticking with MTB compatibility might be a sound idea, long cage RD to enable a wider range cassette on the back.

The alternative re the brakes is to buy some "road" Canti's like Shimano BR-CX50, which is more expensive route to go, but enables you to run with "modern" brifters and under bar-tape aero cabling etc. and then you defo do need a Road compatible RD.

You will also need a brake hanger or a fork bridge up-hanger as that looks to have the brake hanger through the stem, but that is easily sorted.

Thanks for that info, I had been looking at brake info and thought I would be safe as they are cantilever ones, but I will do some more research. I am not looking use brifters, I am as you suggest planning on using a bar end shifter, current derailleur on there will take up to 34t but I will be looking at something a bit more modern I think and see if I can get a 11-40 or even bigger on there.

I think 10 speed will be my max but I may do 9 speed if prices favour it. Also need to start the look out for bargain tyres.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Thanks for that info, I had been looking at brake info and thought I would be safe as they are cantilever ones, but I will do some more research. I am not looking use brifters, I am as you suggest planning on using a bar end shifter, current derailleur on there will take up to 34t but I will be looking at something a bit more modern I think and see if I can get a 11-40 or even bigger on there.

I think 10 speed will be my max but I may do 9 speed if prices favour it. Also need to start the look out for bargain tyres.
Ah you are right, those flat bar levers (probably) pull same ratio as road levers of their day, rather than the direct pull of V brake flat bar levers. I was thinking of a conversion I did on another bike but that ran with v brakes off it flat bar set up.

My gravel beast runs 38T to a 11-34, run off a bar end shifter too. Its a decent enough range.

With BB I suggest popping a single crankset on and seeing how the chainline looks, that will give you some indication of whether you need a longer or shorter one, square taper so should be OK to source what you need or you might get lucky with first try.

good luck with it:okay:

figbat

Slippery scientist
I did a similar project a while back. I went a bit further though and sized-up to 700c wheels and converted to disk brakes. if you fancy a more modern fork on it, for example to get V-brakes or a disc up-front, you can probably replace the threaded headset for a threadless one - this opens up the options massively.

I went from 3x7 to 1x10 which works OK, but I am always on the look out for a wider range cassette so I can make the chainring bigger and avoid spinning out as I currently do with 34T x 11-36T.

I enjoyed the project though and have ended up with a bike I love riding, and one I know every detail of.

040C4FBC-8A08-45C1-BE4B-89C4758AC5FA.jpeg

30688D3B-B666-4C72-B763-7976000C37BD.jpeg

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
@T4tomo thanks for the tip on the BB and chain line. I have the frame stripped down now except the BB as I am waiting on the correct tool, so will start looking for parts.

I did a similar project a while back. I went a bit further though and sized-up to 700c wheels and converted to disk brakes. if you fancy a more modern fork on it, for example to get V-brakes or a disc up-front, you can probably replace the threaded headset for a threadless one - this opens up the options massively.

I went from 3x7 to 1x10 which works OK, but I am always on the look out for a wider range cassette so I can make the chainring bigger and avoid spinning out as I currently do with 34T x 11-36T.

I enjoyed the project though and have ended up with a bike I love riding, and one I know every detail of.

View attachment 615356
View attachment 615357

That's fab looking. I had not thought about disc, where did you get your fork from out of interest? I think there is room for 700c wheels on mine, so might try it with the wheels off my hybrid.

As for gear ratios I have a few bikes so know what range I like and use, I'll spend quite alot of time playing with the Sheldon Brown gear calc working out what will do what.

figbat

Slippery scientist
The fork is an unknown type gifted from a friend’s pile of stuff.
The frame disc brake adaptor is an A2Z universal adaptor - it required a bit of fettling with a Dremel to fit right but has been no bother since fitting.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Bottom bracket is out now, not taken any pics since but this was just before. The blue paint on the frame is stunning so I think will remove the decals as they are peeling badly and then tcut. Probably stick a replacement Reynolds sticker on an a small Holdsworth sticker / headbadge.

That leaves me with the option of changing the colouring of the bike by just changing the fork, options for the future.

I am going to clean up the front and rear derailleurs and reuse whilst I wait for part shortage to settle, I will only need shifters and cassette to start with for the drivechain.

Drop bars, stem and stem adapter should be cheap enough to get from SJS / planet X, I can reuse the canti brakes for now too.

Then I can keep an eye out for tyres, not sure what will work best, I ran some Schwalbe Land Cruisers on my backup winter bike last year and quite liked them so they may be an option.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Interesting weekend, I actually counted the cogs on the cassette and it's actually a 7 speed so I will be running 3x7. I have anew cassette and chainset coming bit will be reusing the derailers and brakes. Parts are now on the way, only a stem to source I think.

Also had to start taking off the decals as they where too far gone to be saved, most of them had multiple tears and peeling sections. So it is going to get some slightly out of period decals and a new headbadge.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Getting things fitted together, so far so good. Was just a test with the front wheel as it needs the new tyre, but size wise it all feels very good.

New bottom bracket fitted with the new crank and some temp pedals. Quill adapter, stem and bars fitted with the shifters and levers.

Saddle for fitting, I have a couple of leather ones which might look better.

Need to find where I put the cable set I ordered the other week then I will get the brakes sorted and fit the derailleurs.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
And time marches on...

Sneak peek of the almost ready to ride article ( but not finished).

Hit a snag with the crankset as it's a 9 speed one the 7 speed chain is catching and getting trapped when shifting to the big ring, so I have have to restrict down to the two inner rings whilst I wait on a 9 speed chain.

Not 💯 happy with the braking in test but I'll take it round my test track tomorrow and see what it's like in reality. Maybe I was expecting too much from mini v brakes.

I really find wrapping bars a right faff and still go a rubbish job, so I think I need to have a lesson.

Finally I also need to learn how to true wheels and get the kit, I have got this to usable but might have to take it to the local bike charity for them to true.

IMG_20211204_205933.jpg

IMG_20211204_211249.jpg

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Shake down ride done. Happy with everything so far, just need to sort the seat height and angle, plus swap the chain when it arrives.

Brakes where much better in real life than just testing in the workshop.

Also I thought I got rid of all the sticky residue but the dirt soon showed me that was incorrect.

IMG_20211205_102250.jpg

IMG_20211205_102302.jpg

IMG_20211205_102309.jpg

IMG_20211205_102325.jpg

IMG_20211205_102333.jpg

IMG_20211205_102338.jpg

IMG_20211205_102344.jpg

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
At the stage where the bike is ridable for pretty much any ride now, little bit of fine tuning to go, but overall the build is complete for now.

Ended up replacing the front derailleur also, so essentially I have maintained the original frame, forks and wheels, all of the transmission, brakes, steering and seat have been replaced.

SQR block fitted and my bargain SQR Slim woks great on it. Brakes have plenty of stopping power and the Kelly Takeoffs are a joy to use once you get the hand positioning right.

Just wish I could do handle bar tape better.

Took it out to my booster jab the other day and the 26" X 2.0" tyres eat up the pot holed roads, also tested on some gravel style paths and it's superb. Hopefully will be able to take it on a adventure over Christmas and probably start using it in the new year for some of my commutes.

Top Bottom