Gravel / Off Road Tyres on Hybrid Bike (700x28c) - Recommendations Please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sasquath

Hi,

Thanks for your detailed reply, that's super helpful.

Do you know if my rim could accommodate such width - 42c or 50c?

Cheers,

By looks of it your rim is 24-25mm wide, will easily take them.

Depends who you ask, some say no more than 2x internal rim width some other will show you MTB wheels with 19mm internal rim width and 2.5" tyres - 63mm, over 3x!!!.
so i say on your 16mm rims 40 yes - 50 maybe not.

sorry for late edit - didn't see rim size on pictures before

Last edited:
OP
OP
Corsica_13

Corsica_13

That's perfect, I've managed to find those tyres on Wiggle as they're sold out on Halfords ;)

Here's my basket:

1630790975601.png

Those slime tubes don't cater for 40mm wide, only up to 35mm.

Sorry last question please :P

What would you recommend for an ideal tyre pressure for this set up, I weigh 83kg and the bike is around 10-12kg I believe.

Thanks again for all your help!!! :biggrin:

sasquath

5mm is nothing for inner tube ;)
For road as much as print on tyre allows.
For offroad not a clue, I don't ride with pressuge gauge and eyeball it when I get to log enough offroad bit to bother with pressure drop.

DRM

Guru
5mm is nothing for inner tube ;)
For road as much as print on tyre allows.
For offroad not a clue, I don't ride with pressuge gauge and eyeball it when I get to log enough offroad bit to bother with pressure drop.
What I would do is inflate the tyre to somewhere between the min & max on the side wall, do a short ride, if it feels a bit hard let some out, or too squishy put some in & make a note of the pressure, not very scientific I know, but it does work.

OP
OP
Corsica_13

Corsica_13

Depends who you ask, some say no more than 2x internal rim width some other will show you MTB wheels with 19mm internal rim width and 2.5" tyres - 63mm, over 3x!!!.
so i say on your 16mm rims 40 yes - 50 maybe not.

sorry for late edit - didn't see rim size on pictures before

Noted - thank you again for your help! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Corsica_13

Corsica_13

ade towell

Those tyres you have in your basket will be very slow and draggy and only really meant for mud. If it's mainly gravel canal paths and tarmac you'd be better off with the gravelking SK or g-one allround as already mentioned. Much faster, or wtb nano if you're really going to be using it in mud too, they can be had for about £15 each

Those tyres might come into their own in winter but overkill for dry conditions. I can ride canal paths and light trails on 32mm Gatorskins - and they're pretty decent on road which is most of my cycling.

As to tyre pressure - check out this graph. It's per wheel and you'll probably have 60% weight or so on the rear and 40% on the front...

Attachments

• bertopresschart_wm.jpg
    bertopresschart_wm.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
Corsica_13

Corsica_13

Those tyres you have in your basket will be very slow and draggy and only really meant for mud. If it's mainly gravel canal paths and tarmac you'd be better off with the gravelking SK or g-one allround as already mentioned. Much faster, or wtb nano if you're really going to be using it in mud too, they can be had for about £15 each

I did look at some reviews on YT for the Schwalbe Sam Performance tyres and the reviewers mentioned they're good alrounders.
For me personally, I like to ride on light mud trails, through woods, on grass, gravel, old railway tracks and canal paths, plus some road. Road will probably make up the majority of my cycling but for the sake of £36 for 2 tyres, I'm willing to give them a try. If they're really that bad, I'll keep them as spares and go for a more gravel focus tyre like you mentioned.

Thank you for the advice & recommendation :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Corsica_13

Corsica_13

Those tyres might come into their own in winter but overkill for dry conditions. I can ride canal paths and light trails on 32mm Gatorskins - and they're pretty decent on road which is most of my cycling.

As to tyre pressure - check out this graph. It's per wheel and you'll probably have 60% weight or so on the rear and 40% on the front...

That tyre pressure gauge is cool, I will take it into consideration when my new tyres arrive.
Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom