Gravel rash cures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My wife has re-purposed some Instillagel, used for inserting urinary catheters. She has some ready to go next time I come off.
Basically, you spread the gel on liberally and wait for the anaesthetic to take effect. Then use a new nail brush to scrub it all clean, and dress as required. Brutal sounding, but effective, straight out of old-time A&E.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Domestos and a wire brush to make sure you've got all the grit out, a strong magnet to pick out the bits of metal that broke off the wire brush, wrap the affected area in gaffer tape and head for the Pub. ;-)

Globalti

Legendary Member
A girlfriend once thought it would be funny to rub my cheek with sandpaper and it did an amazing amount of very painful damage in just one or two rubs.

Broadside

Guru
I had some bad road rash across my face after going over the handlebars on a steep downhill road. The hospital cleared it all out for me but I was told by a vet to use cow udder cream and it did seem to clear things up very quickly, though obviously I don’t know how long it would have taken without using it.

What I was happy about was that it all cleared up and I only have the very faintest scar from the deepest bit, the rest completely cleared without trace.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I still have the scars on my elbow, from an off I had in 2003

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Anyone here tried turmeric? Some reports say it works similar to the pink powders, drying and encouraging clotting, although with the obvious drawback of turning the treated area that greeny yellow...
OK, so seeing as no-one had, in the interests of testing, I tried turmeric a few days ago. Who am I trying to kid? It was 1am and the flipping thing wouldn't stop weeping/bleeding enough that it wouldn't make a dressing sopping wet in about an hour and I have a low tolerance for limbs sticking to bedsheets. Pharmacies around here are closed and I'm not going to flipping A+E with gravel rash, so what did I have to lose? Nothing suggested it would kill me quickly ;)

Just regular powdered kitchen spice, shaken out into a little pot (I'm not applying it in the kitchen or taking a container that's going to be used in cooking into the bathroom!) and then pinched and put onto the wound. A bonus over the old powders (which I've not used for years or even seen on sale lately, admittedly, so this is from memory) is that it doesn't sting. A drawback is it looks absolutely terrible. I'd read the warnings but they don't really convey how bad. The wound itself went thick and dark red in less than an hour and started crusting up - well enough to tape a large non-stick dressing over that survived fine while I slept. The area was the lurid turmeric yellow for a couple of days (which apparently is enough to alarm bystanders who don't know what you did ;) ) so if you had to see a medic (if it's infected, for example), it's going to be pretty obvious you've been messing with old wives' tales so you'll have to confess :laugh:

As well as that, I've been floating two drops each of tea tree (controversial/unproven skin healer), lavender oil (reduces itching, for me at least) and lemon oil (mainly to mask the granny-ish smell of lavender, to be honest) onto about 100ml of very warm water, dabbing that onto the area, then drying it with a clean pad, twice a day. I've used that on a patch that wasn't rough and scabbed but not weeping and it's reduced the itching there, which means I don't mindlessly scratch it, which allows it to heal. It works for me, at least. And I've been leaving it open to the air as much as I can, which means I've looked like a stupid hipster in the office in shorts and no socks despite freezing March north winds outside.

Hope that helps someone. Now if you want to tell me how/why I'm crazy, flame away :smile:

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How bad was the road rash - if it was weeping like that, sounds as nasty as mine was - I had hydro colloid dressings from memory - you sort of treat it as a burn (which it is).

Glad it worked.

Reactions: mjr

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I understand some gentle heating can cause scabs to form more quickly.

flamethrower.jpg

Broadside

Guru
7 days after this thread started and I recommended Udder Cream I then had my biggest ‘off’ to date which involved me smashing a car windscreen with my face during a head on collision.

I had a lot of deep grazing and glass cuts which were cleaned up by the nice people in a&e. I followed my own advice up thread and bought some more Udder Cream and I am happy to report that 8 days later almost all of the scabs have cleared up. It really is very good stuff! The grades on elbows and knees will take a while longer but the udder cream is helping with those grazes and cuts too.

upload_2019-4-9_22-36-0.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-9_22-36-0.jpeg
    upload_2019-4-9_22-36-0.jpeg
    22 KB · Views: 20
Top Bottom