Gravel rash cures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smudge

Veteran
Would have thought the best cure is dont come off in the first place..... and if you do, dont do it at speed wearing nothing more protective than a bit of lycra.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Maclean’s toothpaste.

Happened when I was a kid. Riding on the back of a mate's bike and we crashed with my bare ankle going into the rear spokes. Where we crashed: A guy ran out of his house and smeared toothpaste into my wound.

Thanks guy. :huh:

booze and cake

probably out cycling
@mjr the turmeric option sounds good for zombie fancy dress events^_^

@Heltor Chasca I've never heard that one before but I imagine it being agony, like sprinkling a wound with salt and vinegar. Did it work then? Or did that bloke have some kind of vendetta against cyclists.

I'm nursing left side gravel rash on knee, elbow and worst of all hip, which has a beer coaster size rash. Yesterday I had a dog run into my front wheel while I was cycling around Battersea park, sending me slamming into the tarmac. Ripped hood on my left shifter that's going to need replacing, and have trashed my bibs that got 3 holes in. And at 46 I'm getting too old to be slamming into the tarmac...not that there's a 'good age' to be slamming into the deck, but its definitely worse the older you get. The dog let out an almighty yelp, I imagined stuffing a super sensitive snoz into the spokes of a spinning wheel would make a right mess, but surprisingly it was fine.

For the last 4 years I seem to be having an off once a year:sad:. I'm quite a high mileage cyclist having done 27,000 miles since 2016, and do nearly all my riding in London, so I guess my exposure to danger is more than most, but I went 7 years without any before that. I always seem to slam on my left side too, the left side of my skeleton on X-rays must look battered, and my left hip has taken the worst of it over the years. My mum (not a cyclist) is getting her hip replaced this year, and I fear I may not be far behind her.

Anyway I'm not one for ointments or lotions and potions, and have always just left it exposed to air as much as possible and let it sort itself out. Its the disturbed sleep that's probably the worst, and as I seem to predominantly sleep while lying on my left side, that just makes it worse. And knee scabs in summer just ruins the even leg tan:laugh:. I'm just off to use some turmeric....in a curry^_^

vickster

Legendary Member
Doesn't stay put :sad:

Anyone here tried turmeric? Some reports say it works similar to the pink powders, drying and encouraging clotting, although with the obvious drawback of turning the treated area that greeny yellow...
Yes it does with a bandage and tubigrip over the top when applied by a trained nurse

whippetUP

Make sure you clean & sterilise it properly. An iodine solution stings like hell for a few seconds (be a hero!) but seem to do the job getting the healing process going more quickly. Having a couple of wipes in a saddle bag etc. if you are likely to wipe out :smile:.

Top Bottom