Gravel/relaxed road for £1000-1100 at the worst time for bike buying...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ollie W

Cycling pls
Hi all, frequented here in 2013-14. Back then I had a Boardman CX Comp that I loved and rode all the time, until it was nicked. Fast forward to 2020 and after a promotion at work I've applied for a £1099 voucher for Cyclescheme because I miss cycling so much and it makes sense for me to get one logistically when my wife resumes teacher training at some point next school year. I'll use whatever I get to commute (10 mile round trip every day) as well as to explore the roads around me and the New Forest, hopefully taking part in sportives/group rides when we're allowed to. The CX Comp was great for being able to do all this so it's cool to see that gravel/adventure bikes are a thing. Unfortunately, it isn't so good to see that I've decided to resume cycling at quite possibly the worst time for getting a bike (typical!), especially as I'm 6'3" so require an extra large frame.

I'd really welcome your suggestions on a bike at this price point, or slightly under so I can get accessories. I'd decided on the Ribble CGR AL but the wait time has gone up massively in the week since I first applied for my certificate and the bike's gone up £100 which leaves me no room for accessories/upgrades; I'm a bit put off by the price hike as it seems a little cheeky. I also looked at the Genesis Croix de Fer 10 but I'm not sure the extra weight of steel goes well with my extra ballast and I was hoping for more than Sora at this price point. A range of recommendations is very welcome since I'm going to have to look out for whichever one I can get hold of as they become available!

OR...

Do I go for a relaxed road bike that can take slightly chunkier (28/32) tyres? I'd quite like to be able to go on gravel so that I can do some forest trails with my wife but most of the commuting will be done on road. I put 28 Gatorskins on the CX Comp and it was fine, but I really didn't enjoy the Cannondale Synapse with 25 slicks that I had after it so I'm not sure this is the best option? On the plus side I guess I could get a bike with a carbon fork at this point which would be slightly less juddery. I would want disc brakes.

Thanks in advance for the help, and sorry for the essay!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you’re talking about 32c tyres and above that takes you into adventure/ gravel bike territory, gives you more opportunities over different terrain. I should go that route if you can find one in stock :smile:

Venod

Eh up
If you’re talking about 32c tyres and above that takes you into adventure/ gravel bike territory

Don't forget CX bikes, some of them take huge tyres and some come with rack and mudguard mounts, the geometry may be different though.

I have just purchased a 2019 Cannondale Synapse SE it has 30mm tyres it looks as if it will take 32.

Last edited:
https://www.marinbikes.com/gb/bikes/20-gestalt-2
I can vouch for one of these, Comfy, fast on road, good on towpaths & dirt tracks, disc brakes & plenty of rack/mudguard mounts Scwalbe G-one speed 700x30 tyres. possibly worth going a tad over budget for
I very nearly got one of those but went Spesh Diverge as my LBS gave me a crazy deal back end of last summer (those were the days!)
Marins are cooler though :okay:

Excuse my ignorance as a newbie so I apologise for breaking any rules!!!
OP has mentioned a Ribble CGR. I've traded up from one if these in large and it is sitting in my garage looking for a good home.

I'm not sure how/if I'm allowed to go further, but it's available if I'm allowed to mention it.

OP has mentioned a Ribble CGR. I've traded up from one if these in large and it is sitting in my garage looking for a good home.

I'm not sure how/if I'm allowed to go further, but it's available if I'm allowed to mention it.
Nice one! Ollie is 6ft 3ins same as me, and i go L 58cm for gravel bike. I find it gives a bit more control, XL too big for me, but us lanky gits are all different ^_^

vickster

Legendary Member

Once you have more posts, you should be able to post in the classifieds, exchange PMs etc

Well I'm same height as you and find it just about perfect.
Its a good bike and was highly recommended when I bought it, but I've changed to exclusively road riding (I'm back with my rsving head on) and wifey told me to get a carbon fibre jobbie. I never argue with my wife...not after the first time 😱

Really it's too good a bike for a pub bike. If Ollie doesn't fancy this I hope he finds one; don't think he'll be disappointed.

vickster

Legendary Member
Well I'm same height as you and find it just about perfect.
Its a good bike and was highly recommended when I bought it, but I've changed to exclusively road riding (I'm back with my rsving head on) and wifey told me to get a carbon fibre jobbie. I never argue with my wife...not after the first time 😱

Really it's too good a bike for a pub bike. If Ollie doesn't fancy this I hope he finds one; don't think he'll be disappointed.
He is looking to use C2W but see what he says 👍

Top Bottom