"Gravel" SPD pedals - what do you like?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Assuming all goes according to plan my new "gravel" (fapping hate the term already) bike should arrive tomorrow.

My road bike has Shimano PD-A600s fitted (two-bolt MTB cleat, single-sided with an integral platform) like these:

prod74749_IMGSET?wid=586&hei=498.jpg

I bought them because of their flat design in the hope they'd offer a bit more support to my feet and reduce "hot spots" (although I still get numbness in the outsides of my feet after a ride), while possibly being a bit easier to manipulate.

They're nice, light pedals with no obvious intrinsic flaws; however even after over a year of use I still struggle with clipping in sometimes - either because I can't locate the cleat into the pedal despite it being the right way up, or because it's upside-down but this isn't immediately obvious as I continue to hopelessly mash the cleat into the underside of the pedal :shy:

I can live with this on the road bike but am thinking this could be more of an issue on less forgiving terrain. I've been looking at double-sided platformless alternatives for the new bike; namely the M520 and M540:

shimano-pd-m540-spdblack2.jpg

I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of those who've used both pedals regarding their relative ease of use and comfort levels please, as well as any suggestions as to better alternatives. I've also been looking at the more MTB-oriented platform SPD pedals, but am generally put off by the cost and / or weight..

Ta :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
M520 every time
(I I had on 4 bikes, now just one, still need to change) as I can no longer clip in thanks to knee arthritis :sad:
I’ve done thousands of miles on various pairs of 520s with not one issue. Cheap as chips too

I didn’t get on with A600 at all as the bloody clips were always the other way round and flipping was a pita (I had what could have been a very nasty fall while looking at foot :ph34r: )
Cages also too small to use comfortably with normal shoes (wide size 43) so for me there was zero benefit and I sold them

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Again, M520.
Been using them more years than I can remember and other than loose bearings on the last set which had done a good 10 years easily, I've never had an issue with them. Even gunked up with mud they work.
If you wanted flat pedals for just effing about on, you can get plastic inserts made by BBB and Shimano for £5 - £10. These just clip into one side of the pedal and are pretty tough. They can squeak a bit sometimes though which annoyed the hell out of me so I bought some proper flatties for those days.

Last edited:

figbat

Slippery scientist
M324s - I love these pedals - I have them on my hardtail and my gravel.

1586180524892.png

M520s have their place (on my road bike as it happens) but the M324s allow for fairly secure, unclipped riding in places where you might need a quick dab. They also allow for riding in non-SPD shoes if needed (for example if I go out with the kids I tend to just wear normal trainers).

D

Deleted member 23692

I use A600's on my road bike and don't have any problems with them. Once you've used them for a while and they've loosened off they always hang atthe same angel, and clipping in is dead easy.

On my gravel bike I use XT touring pedals - flat one side and spd on t'other. Once these have loosened they hang at the same angle and it's two completely different motions to 'choose' whichever side you want.

M520 without a doubt.
I've used them all, right down from Look version 1.0 and ten years ago swapped to SPD on all my bikes. One shoe, many bikes, many terrains, many situations. I'll never do the duck walk again. I have too much dignity.

I'm fibbing slightly, but only slightly. I don't use M520 but Wellgo PDsomethingorothers.

Why? 'cause they are fantastic and come in various colours.

vickster

Legendary Member
M324s - I love these pedals - I have them on my hardtail and my gravel.

View attachment 512983

M520s have their place (on my road bike as it happens) but the M324s allow for fairly secure, unclipped riding in places where you might need a quick dab. They also allow for riding in non-SPD shoes if needed (for example if I go out with the kids I tend to just wear normal trainers).
They have the same issue as the A600s (although they do have a proper sized platform)

Maybe I just don't have the patience to get used to these single sided pedals.

A few shin and ankle scrapes aside, I must say I'm finding it quite liberating just using flat pedals these days on a stiffish soled trail running shie!

figbat

Slippery scientist
They have the same issue as the A600s (although they do have a proper sized platform)
The platform size makes these all-day comfortable. I've ridden them 106km off-road and not noticed them.

A few shin and ankle scrapes aside, I must say I'm finding it quite liberating just using flat pedals these days on a stiffish soled trail running shie!
I recently picked up a 'trail' bike and the ensconced wisdom is that these must run platform pedals. I was resistant but tried it anyway, after riding SPDs for years - I have to say that whilst I am not fully-converted, they do have their place.

I bought them because of their flat design in the hope they'd offer a bit more support to my feet and reduce "hot spots" (although I still get numbness in the outsides of my feet after a ride), while possibly being a bit easier to manipulate.
I've tested the 520s vs "roadie" pedals and the latter were very slight worse for hot-foot!
So I'm not convinced that big platforms help at all. My chiropodist mentioned that most hot-foot sufferers are actually ladder workers - could you get a wider platform??

chriswoody

Legendary Member
When I picked up my Kona it had some big, fat, flat, pedals on it with loads of little stubby allan headed bolts sticking up. I was a little skeptical of the whole thing and resolved to stick a pair of SPD pedals as soon as. The thing is, the more I road off road in all kinds of filthy winter weather and all kinds of surfaces, the more i grew to love these weird things. To the point I really can't see me ever changing them, I've really enjoyed using them and don't find the lack of being clipped in, any detriment at all.

Apologies, I've not really answered your question, but it is another option to potentially consider?

Jody

Stubborn git
M540's for me on either road bike or MTB. Other than a few grams there is very little difference between them or the 520's.

My friend has had quite a few sets of M520's but the right pedal bearing tends to go. Swapped for 540's and hasn't had a problem since. May be bad luck or coincidence but it was always the right side.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
M540's for me on either road bike or MTB. Other than a few grams there is very little difference between them or the 520's.

My friend has had quite a few sets of M520's but the right pedal bearing tends to go. Swapped for 540's and hasn't had a problem since. May be bad luck or coincidence but it was always the right side.

I like the fact that 520s can be removed with a 15mm wrench.

Venod

Eh up
Double sided 520s 540s on all my bikes road, CX, MTB, always easy to clip in, you can get MTB shoes with the same stiff carbon soles as road shoes, this should help eliminate hot spots.

Last edited:
Top Bottom