"Gravel" SPD pedals - what do you like?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Keep up Grandad!

So you are saying there are, what are they then Great Grandad?

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Thanks guys - lots to think about there but your thoughts have helped me narrow it down a little :smile:

I use A600's on my road bike and don't have any problems with them. Once you've used them for a while and they've loosened off they always hang atthe same angel, and clipping in is dead easy.
Evidently I must be a slow learner :whistle:

M540's for me on either road bike or MTB. Other than a few grams there is very little difference between them or the 520's.

My friend has had quite a few sets of M520's but the right pedal bearing tends to go. Swapped for 540's and hasn't had a problem since. May be bad luck or coincidence but it was always the right side.
Thanks - while doing a bit of homework I did read somewhere (unfortunately can't find it now) that on older pedals the threads on the bearing retainer / race (?) ran in the same direction on both sides, meaning that one had a propensity to unscrew during use; perhaps this is what caused the bearing failure your friend has experienced..?

The article suggested that one of the threads had since been changed to a LH alternative; perhaps starting with the higher-end pedals and working its way down to the entry levels last...

Double sided 520s 540s on all my bikes road, CX, MTB, always easy to clip in, you can get MTB shoes with the same stiff carbon soles as road shoes, this should help eliminate hot spots.
Thanks - as it happens I'm already running cross-country shoes with a fairly stiff sole (Shimano XC5 IIRC) but the problem persists. I've added wedges beneath the insoles to help with knee pain and played with the cleats a fair bit, but still get issues thanks to the queer geometry of my legs and feet :sad:

Two bikes have XT standard SPD and one has XT trail SPD, with the bigger platform.
Thanks - do you find any difference in foot comfort between the two different types?

M540 is the sweet spot. M520s are ok but usually need overhauling sooner. M540s can go many years of daily use before the bearings develop play.

M324 have to be regarded as disposable, since a bizarrely overpriced tool (£40 if you shop around) is needed to overhaul or merely adjust the bearings.
Thanks - that's interesting; would figure that the M540s should be better given the significant price difference, but I've yet to find any evidence elsewhere as to why that might be. I prefer the spindle setup on the M540s anyway, so any reason to justify their extra cost would be good!

I used A520's on my road bike and transferred them to the gravel bike when I first got it, but found that sometimes when on the rough stuff I just wanted to be able to stamp my foot onto the pedal and clip in rather than trying to flip the pedal up to the correct position before clipping in. I managed to get a pair of Look X-Track En-rage pedals for a good price from ebay, they're double sided and SPD compatible although Look supply their own cleats with the pedals; I don't find a massive difference to the Shimano cleats but they do seem to clip in and retain a bit better than the Shimanos.
View attachment 513092

https://www.merlincycles.com/look-x...ing&utm_campaign=phg-GB&ucpo=66466&source=PHG

What I like about these pedals is that they clip in and out easily (with either the Look or Shimano cleats), but when you get out of the saddle to lay the power down :whistle: there's not a hint of them unclipping, they feel very secure.The wide platform gives plenty of support and I think there's a little more float than the A520's. Worth considering if you want to go double sided and want something a bit different to the Shimanos.
Thanks for the thought - I'd not considered anything other than Shimano. They look good and reasonably priced, although I'm somewhat put off by their weight.

How are these with normal shoes?
From my experience with the A600s I'd guess pretty nasty, as the SPD mechanism sits well above the pedal platform, so this would be your only point of contact with normal shoes.

I didn’t think there were spd pedals specific to gravel. Just get the spds typically seen on mountain bikes.
I don't think Shimano have released any specific pedals for this market (yet?) but have obviously the requirements are going to be different to those for dedicated road or MTB pedals. Unsurprisingly since "gravel" sits somewhere between road and MTB, the most appropriate pedals appear to be at the lighter trail / XC end of the MTB range.

I think I'm going to have to prioritise what I want from the pedals as I don't think any one set is going to tick all the boxes. I think I've ruled out anything single-sided due to my experiences with my existing pedals. While I like the versatility of having a plain platform on once side, I'm put off by the weight and realistically 99% of the time I'm on this bike it will be for the sole purpose of riding since I won't be leaving it locked up anywhere.. so wearing cycling shoes should be fine.

I have a pipe dream of going touring in the Netherlands at some point; under which circumstances I'd probably just opt for normal shoes and plain pedals and cages (which should come with the bike) in the interest of travelling lighter.

The two remaining questions are whether to go for pedals without platforms (M520 at 380g and c.£23 or M540 at 352g and c.£40) or those with platforms (M530 at 455g and c.£26 or M8120s at 438g and c.£75).

The platforms obvously add a good chunk of mass but I'd expect should make clipping in easier due to the greater ability to tip the pedals into the correct orientation.

If money were no object I'd probably just go straight for a set of XT or XTR pedals with platforms, but I'm somewhat reluctant to spend much over £50 on a pair of pedals tbh.. I'll keep an eye on ebay as I'm not bothered about buying used since they'll only get mashed up anyway.

Thanks again for all the thoughts ;)

carlosfandangus

Über Member
M540's for me on either road bike or MTB. Other than a few grams there is very little difference between them or the 520's.

My friend has had quite a few sets of M520's but the right pedal bearing tends to go. Swapped for 540's and hasn't had a problem since. May be bad luck or coincidence but it was always the right side.

Funny you should mention that, I have slowly swapped to M540 on all my bikes not a problem, I have 2 left 520's in my spares!!!! Why i have kept them is beyond me

iandg

Legendary Member
Thanks guys - lots to think about there but your thoughts have helped me narrow it down a little :smile:

The two remaining questions are whether to go for pedals without platforms (M520 at 380g and c.£23 or M540 at 352g and c.£40) or those with platforms (M530 at 455g and c.£26 or M8120s at 438g and c.£75).

The platforms obvously add a good chunk of mass but I'd expect should make clipping in easier due to the greater ability to tip the pedals into the correct orientation.

Thanks again for all the thoughts ;)

The advantage of platforms IMO is that they 'spread the load' over a larger area of the foot. I found 520/40 ok on my MTB when I was doing an hour in the park but when I used them on a road bike I found them uncomfortable on long rides and switched to A520s

Are you using stiff-soled shoes Ian? (as in, crap for walking far in, stiff!)

D

Deleted member 26715

A few shin and ankle scrapes aside, I must say I'm finding it quite liberating just using flat pedals these days on a stiffish soled trail running shie!
To the point I really can't see me ever changing them, I've really enjoyed using them and don't find the lack of being clipped in, any detriment at all.
When I bought the Cube I went straight to M520's but after several 'Offs' I switched to V8's never looked back, apart from the occasional battle scar on the calf (always right leg) they do the job & I feel far safer than clipped in as I can't get my foot out quick enough.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

The advantage of platforms IMO is that they 'spread the load' over a larger area of the foot. I found 520/40 ok on my MTB when I was doing an hour in the park but when I used them on a road bike I found them uncomfortable on long rides and switched to A520s
Indeed; that was my hope with the A600s but my experience has proven to be less than perfect. Whether pedals without platforms would be worse remains to be seen (in terms of my own experience) and to be fair I can't necessarily blame the pedals as there are probably other fit issues specific to me that I've not properly addressed.

The M8020s (double sided with platforms) are looking like the most appealing proposition; just remains to be seen whether I can stomach the cost.

Holding off for today as the bike's now been delayed until tomorrow and my anxiety about everything being right won't let me jinx it / screw myself by ordering a load of peripherals in case there turn out to be problems with the bike..

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Ive just found out wellgo r120b seems to be doing the same or better job as a530 and a 600 and t8000 for half the price.
Any CC users?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No difference in foot comfort between standard SPD and the wider trail pedal.

The trail pedal is on my full suspension MTB and gives me a little more room to rest my shoe if doing a particularly tricky descent and want a foot unclipped just in case. The standard SPD is on my fixed road bike and a 90's rigid MTB which can't do the crazy stuff like the modern full suspension.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

No difference in foot comfort between standard SPD and the wider trail pedal.

The trail pedal is on my full suspension MTB and gives me a little more room to rest my shoe if doing a particularly tricky descent and want a foot unclipped just in case. The standard SPD is on my fixed road bike and a 90's rigid MTB which can't do the crazy stuff like the modern full suspension.
Thanks - how do you find orienting the pedals when trying to clip in - any difference between the two?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thanks - how do you find orienting the pedals when trying to clip in - any difference between the two?

Maybe the trail pedal is easier because its bigger, but I don't think about it. It's not like road pedals. You just stand on SPDs and they flip round.

I've ridden for hours on both pedals.

I also use single release cleats, not the multi.

Top Bottom