Grays-on-the-Mud

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I think Newport , Gwent sholud be twinned with Grays. I lived there for a few years (Grays), around 87 - 91 lived in Orsett for a while which was a vast improvement, Mind you, I grew up in West Belfast during the 70's now that's another thread all together......

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I drank in the wharf, occasionally, a pub in Argent St opposite the yacht club, great chinese on Southend Rd. I went into The Railway, once..............:whistle:

Most of the areas around grays are depressing and I should know as I used to deliver around there.

South ockendon,chadwell st Mary,tilbury and Stanford-le hope.

Mind you near these places are nice little villages like orsett,bulphan and Horndon on the hill.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
No wonder I got sober in Grays now you remind me of the terrible pubs. Also my daughter was born there (we're not allowed to mention that and she has only seen it from the M25) and I took my best ever photo there, a shot of the QE bridge just before they put the last middle section in place. So although some good things came out of my time there, it's still a pit.

colly

Re member eR
Grays. I've been there. My abiding memory was the smell of detergent. xx(

[QUOTE 2020564, member: 1314"]My hometown has been voted the most miserable place in the country. And I agree. Grays, Thurrock. It's literally a pit. I left when I was 18 and never looked back.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/jul/25/thurrock-capital-misery

Sink estate schools (worst in the country), fascism, unemployment. Believe it or not, I think it was actually a worse place to live when I was growing up there in the 70s/early 80s. there are still clubs which are, in effect, whites only (Tyrell's Working Men's Club springs to mind, 2 minute walk from my parents and where Nick Griffin once spoke.)

On a positive note I made good friends there, the rugby folk are spot on and Palmers College where I ended up has excellent teaching staff.

I honestly did not think there were worse places then Newport in Gwent, Oldham, Worksop, Bradford but I guess I was blinded by ignorance. How happy/miserable is your home town? Or are such polls subjective and meaningless without the contextualisation of family, friends and personal ambition?[/quote]
Crikey, if it's worse than Worksop.......

Top Bottom