Great advert for middle age

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Years ago I moved to Nottingham for a while and rode many a weekend with some pretty middle-aged and more folk from the CTC.

I found them inspiring (as I struggled to climb a hill in the Peak District behind them)

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Quick Google shows most authoritative sources indicate 45-ish to be the start of middle age.

Chopping 90 into 3 parts not only ignores early adulthood (starts at around 18-ish) but also assumes that the stages of life are of more or less of equal length - they aren't.

Some interesting survey stat's (particularly the variance in perception of middle age by age group surveyed - the younger you are the earlier you think middle age starts). Most popular age for being middle aged is 55:

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.n...35n689y/InternalResults_MiddleAge_Feb18_w.pdf

As @PaulSB indicates GP's have a different frame of reference.

My GP considers me, at 62 going on 63, to be relatively young with old age being somewhere in the late 70's upwards.

Then I must ask what you mean by the stages of life and how they are defined. For it seems 45 is rather arbitrary and not based on any physical or mental change. Middle age seems such a woolly and ill defined stage in life. Other than to say it not youth, neither is it old age.

Last edited:

david k

Hi
40 plus is probably middle age
I accept the sentiments of the OP
Middle age is still middle age, you just don't have to feel or act it

Top Bottom