Great advert for middle age

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
Since when was 37 middle age? Perhaps in the 1600s, but these days...?
I know a fair few people who’ve all died around 70. So to me 37 is middle aged. I’m 37 & I’m Middle Aged. You just can’t argue with the fact. If a man can make 80 he’s done really well.

I've known quite a few people who were middle-aged in their teens. Like William Hague.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
For many people age is a state of mind. Yes those of us who are 60+ know most of the years have gone by. We are though young and often having the best time of our lives.

Divide 80 by 2 and call the answer midlife if you like but not middle aged - it makes me feel like my parents, who got old far too early.

If I make 80 I'll concede to getting old. While my body works and my mind is open I'm young.

As the man said "I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now"

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
How can 45 be the start of middle age when that is greater than half your life expectancy? That makes no sense.

If age is divided into youth, middle age, old age; then it makes sense to divide those into thirds of life expectancy. So roughly 0-30, 31-60, 61-89. Otherwise it is based on waving your hands in the air.

Quick Google shows most authoritative sources indicate 45-ish to be the start of middle age.

Chopping 90 into 3 parts not only ignores early adulthood (starts at around 18-ish) but also assumes that the stages of life are of more or less of equal length - they aren't.

Some interesting survey stat's (particularly the variance in perception of middle age by age group surveyed - the younger you are the earlier you think middle age starts). Most popular age for being middle aged is 55:

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.n...35n689y/InternalResults_MiddleAge_Feb18_w.pdf

As @PaulSB indicates GP's have a different frame of reference.

My GP considers me, at 62 going on 63, to be relatively young with old age being somewhere in the late 70's upwards.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
For many people age is a state of mind. Yes those of us who are 60+ know most of the years have gone by. We are though young and often having the best time of our lives.

Divide 80 by 2 and call the answer midlife if you like but not middle aged - it makes me feel like my parents, who got old far too early.

If I make 80 I'll concede to getting old. While my body works and my mind is open I'm young.

As the man said "I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now"

The Byrds

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I caught a few minutes of a documentary about Park Runs last night. Dame Kelly Holmes was walking along chatting to a woman who was 91 (or was it 93?) who had done 50+ of them. Suddenly the old dear broke into a trot because they were getting close to the finish and she didn't want to walk across the line!

@Littgull and I are well into our 60s and have had younger people chat to us on several cafe stops recently. They ask how far we have ridden and they look shocked when we tell them "about 50 miles". They look even more shocked when we say that we are only halfway through our ride! :okay:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Littgull and I are well into our 60s and have had younger people chat to us on several cafe stops recently. They ask how far we have ridden and they look shocked when we tell them "about 50 miles". They look even more shocked when we say that we are only halfway through our ride! :okay:

This is a reaction I often get. For most people a bike ride is, well, just that but for cyclists it's a very different thought.

On Sunday my son's new GF asked how far I had ridden? 68 miles I replied and she said "Is that normal?" somewhat incredulously.

She had run 12 miles that morning, something I couldn't conceive doing nor have ever come close to.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
This is a reaction I often get. For most people a bike ride is, well, just that but for cyclists it's a very different thought.

On Sunday my son's new GF asked how far I had ridden? 68 miles I replied and she said "Is that normal?" somewhat incredulously.

She had run 12 miles that morning, something I couldn't conceive doing nor have ever come close to.
Yes, a 12 mile run would feel considerably harder than most 68 mile bike rides to me! The furthest I ever ran was the day I left work before getting ready to go to university. I celebrated by running back from the factory in Kenilworth to our family home on the north side of Coventry. That was probably 6-7 miles; half killed me!

I gave up running because my hips were aching but I might try the local Park Run if I get my weight down to below 80 kgs (~12.5 stone).

Top Bottom