Great article for beginners: An impassioned guide on why not to buy cheap bikes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Sheesh. That would take me weeks to get through that article.

The author sure was passionate about his subject and had a lot of free time to write that. Clearly as a bike mechanic he isn’t spending much time fixing bikes, rather he’s at the keyboard, conclusively debunking his own theory.

Hi Heltor, and thank you for your opinion.

I think a little unfair though. Would it be fair to say the guy could have wrote this when not at work, but while at home. Especially having such passion for the subject? You say " Clearly He`s isn`t spending much time fixing bikes". If I am ever in court for something I`m hoping you are not on the jury panel. :ohmy:^_^

I’m sure it’s full of sage advice and I really don’t mean to be rude but if I was thinking of buying a bike for the first time and was advised to read that I’d lose the will to live after 4 paragraphs and would buy another LandRover.

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
That isn't an article, it's a book. Sod that for a game.

That person needs to get a life. Maybe he should spend less time writing his epic book and spend more time riding a bike. If that doesn't put you off cycling before you have even bought a bike then nothing will. Please wake up when anyone here has finished reading it. :laugh:

I only went to the end of the article which was interesting. Did anyone read the comments underneath, they were longer than the article. No? No wonder libraries are closing.:tongue:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Having been there and done that (a long time ago), I agree he has a point.
Many years ago, Mrs ND and I were seduced by the idea of a couple of many-geared mountain bikes from a well know high street sports shop for under £150 for the pair.
Goodness me, they were terrible and got ridden about half a dozen times between them, before getting used as clothes hangers for a bit then getting listed in the small ads (I told you it was a long time ago). It was a long time before I went near a bike again.

The trouble is that I don't think the people who need to read that article will read that article.

alicat

Legendary Member
The article is too long and rambling so it isn't going to sway any non-cyclists from buying a BSO. It makes a good skim read for those already converted.

To be fair what the article does do is generalise that all cheap bikes are rubbish. I paid the princely sum of 26 euros for a bike from Intermarche supermarket in Olhao, Portugal (12 years ago) and it took me everywhere and never let me down. If some scutter hadn't lifted it from our basement a couple of years back I would probably still be riding it.

Top Bottom