Great, cycle friendly coffee stops in your area.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Inspired by another thread. Let us know what stops you would recommend in your area.

I am in Kent and a few of the best for me are...

Ide Hill- Has lots of bike space, although be aware thieves have been reported to walk through the cafe with a bike in their hands, so sit close to your bike. Offers a good cream tea, limited range of pastries and relatively crappy coffee...but has one of the most amazing views in Kent and is truly worthwhile just for that. Very busy in the summer weekends. track pumps and bidon filling available

Westerham Cyclery- Proper coffee, with a proper bike shop attached. lots of secure bike parking and both inside and outside seating. Ask for Mark and if you are heading there in a group, ring him and he will provide a group discount. trackpumps, water and local advice all available

Lullingstone cafe- Abundant bike parking, no track pumps (yet) decent bacon buttie and tea, not a good coffee selection but well situated. Perfect if its raining as the indoor space is pretty large

Deaf Cat Rochester- Awesome coffee shop, great selection of pastries and home made pies, awesome coffee. no real bike parking but outdoor seating (you can leave the bikes next to the tables) no pumps and no water, more of a high street coffee shop

Riverside tea rooms - Eynsford- pretty, traditional (1950s style) tea shop with fab coffee, fab cake limited seating inside and expanding external seating. Right on the ford, so plenty of entertainment watching vehicles attempting the ford. Cycle friendly but not cycle equipped. Very small too so beware large groups

Costa- Penshurst (sorry but its a really good one) in the grounds of Penshurst place, very good outdoor seating and bike parking, rough road approaching the shop, so beware race tyres.

The Beeches, High Elms park.(Pratts Bottom, yes that's a real place) Set in some very attractive parkland, has bean to cup machine coffee, great bacon and sausage sarnies, pretty good places for bike (mostly against a fence) and lots of outdoor seating, much of which is under cover.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Too many to mention in my neck of the woods! My favourites include:

• North Curry community coffee shop
  • Daisy Cottage tea rooms, Bishops Lydeard
  • Willow and Wetlands Centre, Stoke St Gregory
  • Silvers Pantry, West Monkton
  • White Post Nursery, Langford Budville
  • Sweets café, Westhay
  • The Potting Shed, Kelways, Langport

RedRider

Pulling through
Whenever cycling through town I tend to stop at this kiosk on the Albert embankment. Great views...
IMAG1304.jpg
And the espresso's ace
I think it's called 2 Love

Globalti

Legendary Member
Staying in Lancashire, the Greendale View Country Kitchen just outside Downham is ace. Great coffe and everything is home-baked.

Roxy641

I keep meaning to go to some of these cafes.
There aren't any within a couple of miles of me, but a bit furthur out....
One in Reigate, Surrey.
Plenty in London.

I did look up (this one Jonny had mentioned in another thread here on C.C.) and was very impressed with their website.
Westerham Cyclery
http://westerhamcyclery.co.uk/

Roxy641

Vickster,

is this the one you mean?

http://www.bikebeans.co.uk
Bike Beans Cycle Cafe is tucked up the charming Rectory Lane in Ashtead,100m off the A24,between
Epsom & Leatherhead. Our full address is:
Bike Beans Cycle Cafe
5b Rectory Lane
Ashtead
Surrey
KT21 2BA

There's one in Ashtead, not too far from Croydon

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
In Hertfordshire, "The Handle Bar" at Kinetic Cycles in Hitchin is nice, tucked away off the main market square in Coopers Place. Proper little coffee bar, nice comfy sofas, never too busy thanks to the hidden location, and you can bring your bike inside, in fact it's frowned on to leave it outside.
Big bike shop attached at the back, scarily expensive range of stuff mind you.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
More Kent based stuff ...

I really like Ide Hill Cafe but I'm not surprised that thieves have been active as it's popular with a lot of local clubs and you see some very blingy bikes there.

Another favourite stopping point of mine is The George in Yalding. They don't do sandwiches or cake (or haven't when I've been there), so it's either a full blown meal or peanuts or crisps plus a pint or a coffee or whatever takes your fancy. But it's a nice pub with a secluded side area to park your bike.

Two places further North in Kent are The Freewheel in Graveney which is a pub with a cycle-cafe theme, I think it's a new venture, I've been a couple of times and it's a nice place. Next, of course, beloved of the Fridays, is The Waterfront in Whitstable, where you will get a fan-dabby-dosy breakfast or some ice cream and sit on the balcony with your bike (or overlooking your bike) and look out over the estuary.

Oh, and if you fancy exploring the Isle of Grain then check to see if The Beach Hut is open. Some absolutely fantastic cakes!

There is a web based project for recording cycle friendly cafes. I don't have a link handy at the moment. Edit. I do now: http://www.cafenetwork.info/

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Another favourite stopping point of mine is The George in Yalding. They don't do sandwiches or cake (or haven't when I've been there), so it's either a full blown meal or peanuts or crisps plus a pint or a coffee or whatever takes your fancy. But it's a nice pub with a secluded side area to park your bike.

Really nice, friendly pub that.
The Landlord's a really nice fella. I have spoken to him a couple of times now about how he can attract more cyclists. A year later he still hasn't made a bike stand (A-Stand) the he said he would, but I'm sure he'll get round to it.

Top Bottom