Great Glen Way Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nate89

Hi all,

Myself, and another rider are planning to complete the Great Glen Way at the beginning of April this year. Planning to do it over 2 days, probably spend a night camping and a night B+B or something - wont need to carry much really.

One of my main concerns is what bike to use? I commute about 12 miles a day on a Dawes Giro 300 - would this be suitable for the GGW?, alternatively, i have a mountain bike (in bits) in the garage that i could fix up and use of that would be the better option. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

just jim

I think the mountain bike is the safer option, but you don't need gnarly tires on it. Something with a bit of tread will be alright. In April it might be a bit muddy and wet in bits, but nothing too serious. It's a great run. There's a nice campsite at Ft. Augustus, and there's a couple in Ft. William ( I didn't like the Glen Nevis site as much as the Lochy Prk. site)

rualexander

Legendary Member
Definitely the mountain bike. Some of it is fairly rough forest track and there is some singletrack too. Most of it is a reasonable surface though, but there are also some fairly steep gradients where you might be grateful for the mountain bike gears.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Definitely the mountain bike. Some of it is fairly rough forest track and there is some singletrack too. Most of it is a reasonable surface though, but there are also some fairly steep gradients where you might be grateful for the mountain bike gears.

irc

+1 for the MTB. something like 1.5 or 1.75 Marathons would be ideal.

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s142p1092

A good alternative north of Fort Augustus is to use the B roads on the east side of Loch Ness The B862 then the minor road past Loch Ashie and Essich. Very little traffic, great open views, and less climbing. One big hill at the start of the day then a gradual downhill or flat all the way to Inverness as opposed to the climbing on the GGW noth of Fort Augustus

http://cycling.visitscotland.com/images/route_profiles/322898

Top Bottom