Great Manchester Cycle 2015 28 June 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Katherine

Katherine

Guru
Manchester do two city centre bike days..This one costs £22- £30.and skyride which is free..Never done thje Great Manchester but the skyride is one for family with lots of kamakee kids that wander off line..so anyone wanting to build up speed cant ..For the pacier rider the Manchester is the better option.with protected lane for the faster rider I would assume.....
No protected lane but different start times for each distance. See the website.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
If you're riding just be careful of the loonies; I ended up on the tarmac due to someone thinking he could lead the front of a group at speed on the 52-miler, only to find out he couldn't, hit a bollard and took several of us out.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
In my experience the best tactic is to arrive early, be in the front of start queue and then content yourself with riding at your own pace for the first few miles. After this the ride settles down and one can easily find a small group to ride with.

Watch out for the boy racers who pass close and/or pull across your line without warning. They haven't a clue.

In 2013 a large peloton fronted by a local club formed up and rode through at high speed. It was pretty antisocial in my view and not what the day is about.

Having said that it's great fun just watch out for the idiots with no respect for others. Sadly many sportives have those!

SteCenturion

I am your Father
You have plenty time i think.It will only really fill up in the couple of months before the event.Right now you will be fine,even a few weeks should be ok if money needs to be sought.
Are you doing this with LeighRevolution Dave ?

If so which distance ?

Missed it last year & was working in the Capital that day (Manchester not the Village of London) & was so fed up seeing hundreds of cyclist while grafting.

I did the 52mile ride in 2013 and it was not a great experience. People cutting across the front of you and not holding a line into corners. I will not be doing it again, especially as there are so many better routes to ride locally that are free.

I'm signed up to do the 26 mile course. Pick my bike up on Sunday 24th. I was really tempted to do the 52 miles, but after recently having a compound fracture of both radius and ulna (been out of a cast for around 8 weeks) and is still held together with titanium plates. I'm unsure how long I will last.

Is anybody else doing the 26 mile course?

OP
OP
Katherine

Katherine

Guru
I'm signed up to do the 26 mile course. Pick my bike up on Sunday 24th. I was really tempted to do the 52 miles, but after recently having a compound fracture of both radius and ulna (been out of a cast for around 8 weeks) and is still held together with titanium plates. I'm unsure how long I will last.

Me.
I couldn't keep up a high enough average speed for 52 miles and twice around the same course is plenty.

clid61

Veteran
ooo manchester to blackpool is littered with complete dickheads! Never seen such a bunch of goons in my life ! Pot bellied lycra baboons thinking theyre the bollocks ! RLJ ing and generally being kings o f the road !!!!

SteCenturion

I am your Father

I am not currently signed up, contemplating the 52 but might go for 26.

What's the average speed required for 52 ?

& I spy with my beady eye, a Saints shirt @PhilDawson8270

Top Bottom