Great Manchester Cycle 2015 28 June 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
You do indeed ;) judging by your name, I'm guessing Leigh?

52 average is 15mph
Signed up for the 26 @PhilDawson8270

& the Mighty Leigh Centurions lost away at London Broncos yesterday, their 1st defeat for 1 year & 1 day since Leeds Rhinos away in the Challenge Cup on the 6th June 2014.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
If anyone wants to meet up for a pre ride coffee/tea before the 26 mile ride I am open to offers, ideas.

I know a quiet little courtyard in Piccadilly, not much foot traffic & only a short cycle to the start.

It has a car park underneath & I might even be able to access secure caged bike compound for bikes if needed as space is rented by my work.

OP
OP
Katherine

Katherine

Guru
So, who's doing the 26 miler tomorrow?

My husband is dropping me and my bike off at the Ethiad stadium at about half past ten, which will give me enough time to watch some of the 52 milers for a few minutes as they pass on their laps, look at the stands, soak up the atmosphere, have a last minute comfort break, eat a snack and hopefully get a good position in the line up to start when they open the assembly at 11.15.

Does anyone want to meet up? It would be nice to have someone to chat to while we wait, though I usually chat to anyone who's around anyway, there are lot of people who start together in groups.

I'm really hoping to beat 1hour 30 minutes but that will depend on my wrist and elbow a bit. In 2014 I did 1 hour 36 minutes but it was a lovely day with no wind. Last year I was slower because I had a puncture.

OP
OP
Katherine

Katherine

Guru
If anyone wants to meet up for a pre ride coffee/tea before the 26 mile ride I am open to offers, ideas.

I know a quiet little courtyard in Piccadilly, not much foot traffic & only a short cycle to the start.

It has a car park underneath & I might even be able to access secure caged bike compound for bikes if needed as space is rented by my work.

Thanks, it's not really practical for me to go somewhere else first. We'll have to drive the long way round because of the closed roads.
Happy to meet up at the venue.

Freds Dad

Veteran
So, who's doing the 26 miler tomorrow?

My husband is dropping me and my bike off at the Ethiad stadium at about half past ten, which will give me enough time to watch some of the 52 milers for a few minutes as they pass on their laps, look at the stands, soak up the atmosphere, have a last minute comfort break, eat a snack and hopefully get a good position in the line up to start when they open the assembly at 11.15.

Does anyone want to meet up? It would be nice to have someone to chat to while we wait, though I usually chat to anyone who's around anyway, there are lot of people who start together in groups.

I'm really hoping to beat 1hour 30 minutes but that will depend on my wrist and elbow a bit. In 2014 I did 1 hour 36 minutes but it was a lovely day with no wind. Last year I was slower because I had a puncture.

I'm happy to meet up pre ride but haven't given a thought to how long it will take me to do 26 miles as I'm unsure of how busy it will be and if I will get held up by the volume of riders.
I have a BC membership so will be going to the BC meeting point before ths start big happy to meet for a chat before. I'm planning to use the car park near the stadium but what happens after you have parked up. Does everyone wander pond in their cycling shoes with their bikes?

OP
OP
Katherine

Katherine

Guru
I'm happy to meet up pre ride but haven't given a thought to how long it will take me to do 26 miles as I'm unsure of how busy it will be and if I will get held up by the volume of riders.
I have a BC membership so will be going to the BC meeting point before ths start big happy to meet for a chat before. I'm planning to use the car park near the stadium but what happens after you have parked up. Does everyone wander pond in their cycling shoes with their bikes?

Yes, that's about it. You could take some different shoes I suppose and then check them in, in a bag with your luggage label.

I will put my D lock in a bag and check it in.

The BC starters always get away fast they'll be no one in the way on their first lap. I don't like it when people ride in packs, it's not really safe and they expect people to get out of their way. Much easier on your own. It spreads out after the first couple of miles.

Good luck tomorrow. What time do you think you'll arrive?

Freds Dad

Veteran
Thanks for the info about BC starters and the tip of changing footwear. I don't have a D lock for my bike so will have to push it round with me.
I'm planning to leave home about 9:15 to get there for around 10ish. We can meet up for a chat if you like.

OP
OP
Katherine

Katherine

Guru
Thanks for the info about BC starters and the tip of changing footwear. I don't have a D lock for my bike so will have to push it round with me.
I'm planning to leave home about 9:15 to get there for around 10ish. We can meet up for a chat if you like.
Great.
Shall I pm you when I get there?

Top Bottom