"Great Project" - ambitious eBay sellers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
I'm sure there are a fair few posters on here who browse eBay to see if anything comes up, and like me you must see some bikes that are priced optimistically - particularly ones that if accurately described would be 'entry level 80s 'racer' with one brake and all the gears missing, and a Brooks saddle copy' Amongst them of course are the bikes that it is optimistic to think anyone would buy at any price.

Post them here :smile:

I'll start off with this classic Puch, which clearly is in such a fragile state that the vendor didn't want to risk removing it from the hedge in which it was found:

Puch1.jpg

I know what you're thinking - what's it like from the other side? Even better is the answer - you can even see some other scrap metal in the background. (Radiator not included in sale)

Puch2.jpg

And if you're not yet convinced - here's a picture of the front light that's in focus just enough for you to tell it's definitely knackered.

Puch3.jpg

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Early-70s-Puch-Mens-Bicycle-/1A32059272446?hash=item1ebf5894fe:g:leoAAOSw5cNYc262

It ends in two hours so get moving if you want it . £15 with no bids...

Chris S

Legendary Member
Some muppet wants £800 for this Phillips, I think he's got the decimal point in the wrong place.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Phillips-...296383?hash=item1a235ab33f:g:QNcAAOSwFe5XzAto

Last edited:

snorri

Legendary Member
EDIT - is the 'crossbar' a set of step ladders?
I thought it had its origins in an ironing board, but I haven't seen an ironing board in years, so you could be right:okay:.

Edit.... Looking at your first photo in this thread, the only plus point I could add would be for the chain which appears to have been oiled in the not too distant past:smile:.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
In a similar vein I once saw a 'racing bike' on a car boot once. Moseyed up and gave it a quick look over...
'A great project for restoration, that was a good bike in its day..it's £100' said the fella.

I walked off thinking...
'It's a rusty pile of budget racer from the 70s or 80s mate, it ain't worth £20'

Chris S

Legendary Member
The sellers are not mugs if they get those prices.
They don't - they remain unsold. The dual-suspension 'beach cruiser' has been on ebay for well over a year now. I've lost count of the number of times that the Raleigh 20 has been relisted.

It's not unusual to see scruffy 3-speeds up for sale at £150+ either. They remain unsold until they are put up for auction were they typically make around the £50 mark.

Top Bottom