"Great Project" - ambitious eBay sellers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Did you look at the sellers other items?
I've just seen this home-made Chopper for £150, that's about the same price as a Mark III. You have to give him 10/10 for trying!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Custom-vi...077780?hash=item43fb9b73d4:g:Eu4AAOSw~gRVqs7c

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
s-l1600.jpg

Great Scott!

(there's a Raleigh 18 / Commando and a Grifter back wheel under all that lot somewhere I suspect)

He must have bought a few of those long saddles ...

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
And then there is this. £700 of actual money, for a bike which is simultaneously old and new - the advert says (their bold)

"It was fully rebuilt and restored, (upgraded with new and vintage parts) ... used only to check if everything is working so technically its new"

It's a track bike, you see. With a mount for a light on the fork leg, like what track bikes have.

upload_2017-1-17_14-58-51.png

but I know you've noticed the weird brake lever now. Let's have a close look - because surely it doesn't work the way it looks like it works ...

upload_2017-1-17_14-59-35.png

Oh. Oh dear. Not vintage. Not really useable - not ideal on any brake, let alone the only brake.

Any takers? Beard not included.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Proof you can polish a turd.

is that before or after it squashes in your hand trying

Brains

Legendary Member

I think this is what was known as a 'gas pipe bike' in it's day.
It looks too basic for a production bike of that period

Looking at pictures of my Dad & Step Dad riding their new bikes they got for Christmas 1941, (Raleigh, Sturmey Archer 3 speed hubs, cable brakes) they are not noticeably different to bikes of the early 1970's.

Top Bottom