Greed knows no bounds.

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by postman, 9 Feb 2019.

1. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Maybe it’s because of the police that there’s little to no violence?

Have you put your concerns on over policing to whichever club you support? If so, what did they reply? If not, why not if you believe it ridiculous (waste of money, police resource etc)

Party conferences = politicians of all colours = targets for terrorists (as evidenced by the Brighton bombing) with non delegate members of the public also potential victims

glasgowcyclist likes this.
  2. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

Actually when I first saw this thread I thought it was about corporate lawyers, the greediest parasites on the Earth.

Reiver likes this.
  3. Reiver

Reiver Ribbit, Ribbit.

We had the Olympic torch went through our small town a few years ago - I didn't realise Scotland had that many officers and cars and motorbikes.

NorthernDave and pjd57 like this.
  4. Supersuperleeds

Supersuperleeds Guru

Pretty sure when I went to Amsterdam with work I had to pay some sort of tourist tax. Personally I don't have a problem with it as long as you are told about it upfront.

pjd57 likes this.
  5. srw

srw It's a bit more complicated than that...

Except that you were specifically talking about Paris. Which is why I linked to the Paris tourist office where there is a differential between cheap and expensive hotels.

6. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

It used to be that you paid a "tax" when arriving at Lagos airport and at roughly five mile intervals on any road trip within the country. Things aren't quite so bad there nowadays.

7. srw

srw It's a bit more complicated than that...

You're quite right. The four specific places mentioned in this thread: Oxford (two universities, car factory, local government), York (university, railways, local government, financial services), Edinburgh (national and local government, two universities, financial services) and Bath (two universities, financial services, local government and a useful commuter town for Bristol) just didn't exist before the advent of mass tourism in the 18th century - their apparently ancient mediaeval buildings are modern reproductions - and would be absolutely nothing without tourism.

8. Slick

Slick Veteran

I haven't read the whole thread but just in case anyone is worried, I'm sure Edinburgh will be fine.

Pat "5mph" and Andy in Germany like this.
  9. I'm not so sure: imagine all those Japanese tourists saying "What? two pounds extra a night? We can't go to Edinburgh then."

Then they'll book a hotel in Birmingham instead, just you wait and see.

Pat "5mph" and Slick like this.
  10. Diogenes

Diogenes Opinions, schminions

Tourists generated £1,320,000,000 for Edinburgh in 2015 alone, more than all the money paid by locals in council tax and business rates combined. Perhaps the locals should pay more for services they use all year round rather than tourists only there for a few days.

classic33, Slioch and NorthernDave like this.
  11. Slick

Slick Veteran

:laugh::laugh:

12. Slick

Slick Veteran

I'm sure the edinburgers would be quite displeased at the thought of their tax bill being linked to tourism, although if it was I'd probably get a rebate. :laugh:

Andy in Germany and Diogenes like this.
  13. screenman

screenman Legendary Member

I wonder when Lincoln is going to start paying people who visit.

NorthernDave likes this.
  14. Diogenes

Diogenes Opinions, schminions

I wonder how much Edinburghers realise just how much they're subsidised by the tourists they can't stand?:laugh:

15. Slick

Slick Veteran

I certainly didn't know. Stirling and Inverness must be similar though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice