Greenwich Park collision

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Oh man, I did the Tough 15 last year. How the hell did this happen?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Oh man, I did the Tough 15 last year. How the hell did this happen?
It's a dangerous hill to come down when there's a lot of people and it's traffic free, as today. There are places where you can't see people approaching from the left or the right. I've almost come off when a child darted into the road just in front of me. And the buggies, skaters, dogs, children spreading themselves across the road are already enough to keep your eyes busy.

Tin Pot

Guru
It's a dangerous hill to come down when there's a lot of people and it's traffic free, as today. There are places where you can't see people approaching from the left or the right. I've almost come off when a child darted into the road just in front of me. And the buggies, skaters, dogs, children spreading themselves across the road are already enough to keep your eyes busy.
Indeed, I grew up around there, I know it well.

But in the Tough event there's tons of runners, I can't recall if it's cordened off or not - I think in the last stage it had really thinned out last year. But it's an obvious route and a wide road...

Hope the lady is all right.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Indeed, I grew up around there, I know it well.

But in the Tough event there's tons of runners, I can't recall if it's cordened off or not - I think in the last stage it had really thinned out last year. But it's an obvious route and a wide road...

Hope the lady is all right.
There are paths crossing at that point and as it's tree lined you don't get a good view of anyone running down the path, if the route crossed the road at that point.

I just went up to see whether there was any trace of where the route went but it was all back to normal. (And then I tried cycling west into the wind over the heath and it was far harder than going up the hill.)

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
That photo shows the bike going up hill, unless she was coming down hill, and has swerved over the road.
Either way very poor show from the organisers, as runners and vehicles should be well segregated

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
That photo shows the bike going up hill, unless she was coming down hill, and has swerved over the road.
Either way very poor show from the organisers, as runners and vehicles should be well segregated
We don't know for sure whether it was a Tough runner. And the bike may have been moved out of the road to allow emergency vehicles to get there. The injuries sound too substantial for an uphill collision, IMO. Downhill seems much more likely.

Tin Pot

Guru
That seems to be the runner, not the cyclist the bbc reported as critical...?

Tin Pot

Guru
We don't know for sure whether it was a Tough runner. And the bike may have been moved out of the road to allow emergency vehicles to get there. The injuries sound too substantial for an uphill collision, IMO. Downhill seems much more likely.

According to Glenn forgers link to Instagram, the runner was 12k into the 15k run.

At that point she would be running down the hill, road or pavement.

crazyjoe101

That is a nightmare road to go down when everyone's out enjoying the park, that is if you treat it like an ordinary road. It's beat to treat it like a pedestrian area when it's busy, as that's exactly what it is.

Top Bottom