Greetings cyclinge fiends-I am now officially an 'old geezer'.........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Widge

Baldy Go
....or 'O Gob!' (old-git on-a bike').
OK........so I know that age 60 makes me still sprightly compared to some of you wizened heros...but this week I turned 60 which means I can now draw my meagre professional pension of some 130 squids a week (wwo-hoo!). Not much- but I feel luckier than some and I can still augment it with some casual work so all is far from lost-BUT........
I get a generous 'one off payment' with it too...(mind you, they are still working it out so I'm not holding my breath)
I have enjoyed riding my modest (think upgraded Triban 3) road bike over the last few years, but living on the edge of Dartmoor has always been a struggle hill-fitness wise, and although I try to be a regular rider I would be lying if I told you my bike-fitness has been coming along in leaps and bounds. I can just about mange a 20 miler once or twice on a good week. I love it. Gets me to all the nicest country pubs! But Oooh the hills..aarrgh!
So imagine how thrilled I was to see The new Orbea 'Gain' ELECTRIC assist road bike?
Looks just as svelte as a 'proper road bike' - weighs only a little more and so is rideable even with no motor assist and doesn't look like a 3 ton zimmer frame on wheels? Orbea are keen to point out that it is only 'assisted' but I am sorely tempted to buy one as a semi-retirement gift to myself? They aren't cheap (compared to my trusty Triban) but the entry-level 'Claris' equipped one isn't outrageously expensive considering all the extra tech that has gone into it.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Orbea-Gain-D40-2018-Electric-Road-Bike_109757.htm

Have any of you seen one of these particular bikes? What do you reckon?? Should I just keep wheezing around my muddy lanes/hills or is it time to finally realise my ambition of keeping up with a few of the 25yr old Bronzed Adonii who regularly overtake me. (Not to mention the teenage girls in flip-flops on Halfords Apollos!)

Or should I just keep takiing the meds?

Opinions on a post-card please to the Winward Home for Grumpy Old Geezers, Barking, South Devon.

All best
w

Last edited:

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
I've never ridden on an electric assisted bike so I can't comment on them but congrats on your pension! I'd say stick with your Triban if it does the job, you'll have more spare time with not having to work as many hours so more chance to ride and improve your fitness.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Hi OGob, I restarted cycling at your age and am now 67. I love the thrill of gliding on the road, the peacefulness of the countryside and the freedom of going wherever I want. Having said all that, I am mainly a fair weather cyclist and would only consider an ebike if I wasn't able to fully pedal it . Don't worry about 25 year old wheezkids, you are still around and still fit enough to ride, that's what matters. Go out and enjoy.

Mrs M

Guru
Happy birthday by the way :birthday:

OP
OP
Widge

Widge

Baldy Go
I would say you should at least test ride one, before making a decision.

Hi Roadrash-yup-absilutely-but the only mainstream shop I can find for these at the moment (pre-order only and due in March) are 'Tredz' who are some way away from me. I'll keep looking.

Hi OGob, I restarted cycling at your age and am now 67. I love the thrill of gliding on the road, the peacefulness of the countryside and the freedom of going wherever I want. Having said all that, I am mainly a fair weather cyclist and would only consider an ebike if I wasn't able to fully pedal it . Don't worry about 25 year old wheezkids, you are still around and still fit enough to ride, that's what matters. Go out and enjoy.

I like your thinking gavroche. You are a gentleman after my own heart.

Happy birthday by the way :birthday:

Thanks Mrs M!:smile:

OP
OP
Widge

Widge

Baldy Go
An electric bike at 60?:wacko:

I thought the same, unless of course there is a medical condition.

I have COPD

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.
I never thought the idea of a subtly applied level of assistance would ever appeal but I can see that rapid progress is being made to miniaturise the technology so that it dooesn't dominate your ride or overwhelm the design and performance of the road-bike.
(It still feels abit like 'cheating' though :dry:)

best
w

pawl

Legendary Member
Electric bikes.Big cogs on the rear Chain wheels near enough the same size as the largest rear cog.

77 next month. Looking for an atomic powered bike.Problem where will I charge it? Will I glow green from atomic fallout.Will I becme infertile.

[QUOTE 5111918, member: 259"]Says the man who lives in Lincolnshire![/QUOTE]
That's not yet a medical condition :smile:

Anyways the toughest ride i've done the last few months was fully loaded across the fens into relentless wind.

OP, I'd stay away from electric assist for now unless there is an over riding need.

Oh, and forget the teenage girls in flip flops.

Impress someone nearer your own age with your enhanced pedalling style.

Top Bottom