1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greetings cyclinge fiends-I am now officially an 'old geezer'.........

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Widge, 10 Jan 2018.

1. welsh dragon

welsh dragon a permanent vacancy now exists

Some of the carbon ebikes are very nice indeed. My pockets are not deep enough unfortunately. ^_^

Widge and dave r like this.
  2. I think another part of the problem is that the UK is so far behind the rest of europe when it comes to e-bikes. Well anything to do with cycling, to be honest. When I ride around my local town in Denmark, I would think that at least a quarter of the bikes are electric bikes. They are ridden by the whole spectrum of people. Young, old, mums with the children on cargo bikes, children on the way to school. All our postmen ride them. They are very common in the whole of europe. But it seems, lacking in the UK.

Or are they getting more popular?

ADarkDraconis, dave r, Slick and 2 others like this.
  3. welsh dragon

welsh dragon a permanent vacancy now exists

I have seen an increase of bikes in general and ebikes in particular. I saw a young family on holiday last year and there was a mum with a young child on an ebike. A couple of years ago, i had never seen one around here.

dave r likes this.
  4. Tal

Tal Active Member

I wish I had one to get me up that ding dang hill near my house! If I ever do get up it, I will have accomplished something! :bicycle:

ADarkDraconis, Widge and Slick like this.
  5. The Central Scrutinizer

The Central Scrutinizer Über Member

I am not against the principal of ebikes.I can understand how they can be useful and fun for young and old.

It's just for me personally cycling is my only form of exercise.I've tried gyms and running and jogging but it's not for me.

I just think that if i got an ebike i could get lazy by the temptation of pressing a button

Blue Hills and dave r like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Widge

Widge Über Member

Thanks for all your thoughts and opinions,folks. Much appreciated.

I too am sceptical about the intrinsic nature of ebikes....that they remove the whole point of cycling under your own power and might induce laziness amongst those of us who cycle for the pure joy of of putting the pedal to the metal!
    I have ridden a couple of examples during the last year-these where HUGE ugly travestys of bike design with enormous batteries and motors-monster forks and frames-weighed upwards of 40 kilos and looked like the worst cast iron shopping bikes you can imagine. Impossible to pedal meaningfully without the motor permanently engaged. Mind You.....great fun WITH the motor turned to max-power!! But not for me. (Not that I have anything particular against monster shopping bikes you understand?)

But NO and behold......the 'Orbea Gain' looks like this-the power-assist is relatively subtle by all acounts-and at 13kg it rides pretty much like the bike it looks without the 'motor' switched on.
    'Apparently' only close inspection reveals its cheatiness!
    https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Orbea-Gain-D40-2018-Electric-Road-Bike_109757.htm

But....I would of course want to inspect and try one in the flesh......but there is no indication of any reaching retailers in the West Country as yet that I can find.
    It's a lot of money to buy 'on spec' even if I already have a feel for this type of road bike and the size I would need etc.

Check it out if you have a mo?

(Not the orange one perhaps!! :eek:).....the White/grey looks more like my cup of tea........

Thanks All

w

Last edited: 13 Jan 2018
  7. Tal

Tal Active Member

Wow ... to my untrained eyes it looks like a regular bicycle to me!

Uhhh, I love the orange one! ^_^

ADarkDraconis and Widge like this.
  8. SkipdiverJohn

SkipdiverJohn Senior Member

This is one of the reasons I don't like them, apart from the battery weight and substantial expense. I'm nowhere near 60 but in recent years I haven't done very much riding, so my general fitness level is not as good as it once was. To improve my fitness I need to put a bit of effort in and clock up some miles, and some of those miles are going to be a bit uncomfortable until my body gets used to the exertion again. It would be very easy in my shoes to get out the chequebook, buy an e-bike, make minimal effort and let the assistance take the strain when it comes to climbing any sort of gradient or riding into the wind. The trouble is, if you cheat in this manner when relatively unfit with an ebike your everyday flat-terrain level of cycling effort is going to remain near your peak capability. If instead, you force yourself to do some hard slogs and get fitter and stronger as a result, then everyday cycling is going to be a breeze because you have some fitness/strength left in the tank.

9. youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

I'm very interested in the Gain. I'm in line for surgery soon to sort out my legs and if it turns out that the wait is going to be more than a few months, I'm definitely going to try one. My online searching so far seems to indicate that finding one in the right size to try is going to be quite a challenge. If anyone has tried one I'd be very interested to hear about it.

10. Blue Hills

Blue Hills Guru

Yes, that's similar to why I think them risky for the young.
    I too tried gyms and running :smile:

11. Blue Hills

Blue Hills Guru

The other concern I have about ebikes is that they might not be as green as they appear. Popped in a major ebike retailer a year or two ago (way back from a ride on my revered 20 year old trigger's broom ridgeback) and asked about continued availability of spare compatible batteries etc. Was told that it was quite the done thing to scrap your ebike every 8 years or so.

Widge likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    Widge

Widge Über Member

Hi Blue Hills.....
    Yup!
    The thing about 'ordinary' mechanical' bikes is that you know damn well they are going to be serviceable with bog-standard parts way down the line.

With a holey-monkey ebike with flavour of the month electric components who knows how serviceable they might be a few years hence??

hhmm....decisions decisions............when to bite the bullet..........???

ADarkDraconis and Blue Hills like this.
  13. I can't comment on e-bikes per se having as I have, no experience of them :crazy:

However, aesthetically, if I was in the market for an e-road bike right now, and after looking at the other offerings at Tredz from Giant, Raleigh and Bianchi, then the Orbeas would be at the top of my list, because even though the spec on them isn't great for the money, (yeah yeah I know your paying for the electrickery bits so the spec has to suffer elsewhere), all the other bikes are completely and utterly repulsive, IMO of course, and like they say, if you don't like the way it looks your unlikely to bother riding it.

Orbea as a brand I would recommend though, great bikes yet not something you see everyday, and I like that about a bike :okay:

Widge and buzzy-beans like this.
  14. buzzy-beans

buzzy-beans Well-Known Member

I honestly think I would sooner be loaded into a box rather than be forced to go electric!!

15. youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

Lets hope you're never in the position where you need to consider the option ......

Tal, ADarkDraconis and buzzy-beans like this.