Greetings cyclinge fiends-I am now officially an 'old geezer'.........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I am 55 and fit as a fiddle. But I have got Parkinsons. When I can't keep up with my friends I will get one rather than do shorter rides alone
cycling is recommended treatment luckily. So this is the plan www.usacycle2018.com

I belong to a couple of over 60s strava clubs and you should see the distance,climbing and averages these "old"people do.
I'm going to keep on riding hopefully until my last breath and it won't definitely be on an ebike.

Tal

To the OP ...

I think, IMHO, that you should do what you think is best for you. It really doesnt matter if you have a medical issue or not. It doesnt matter if you need the help. What matters is if you WANT the help. If so, then by all means, get an ebike.

I would sit down and weigh the pros and cons, though. Does it cost too much money? How often will I ride it? What are the maintenance costs associated with it? Will it do what I need/want it to do? Stuff like that.

Good luck with your decision!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

I dont know how many times I have to say this. But electric bikes are not only for the aged or infirm. I have had one. It is just another form of riding a bike without having to get the car out. There are some days when you just want to relax and take it easy but still ride a bike. An electric bike is ideal. That is unless you want to ride your pedal bike at a very slow speed.

Before anyone knocks electric bikes they should go and hire one for a day. That way you can have an informed judgement instead of knee jerk reactions, every time Electric bikes are mentioned. Im still riding an average of 200+km every week on my geared bike and so having an electric bike did not tempt me over to the dark side.

I belong to a couple of over 60s strava clubs and you should see the distance,climbing and averages these "old"people do.
I'm going to keep on riding hopefully until my last breath and it won't definitely be on an ebike.
Yes, at one time i rode with some seriously old ctc folk in the peak district. Inspiring.
Suppose i'd go electric assist if i really needed to but not if the need was self inflicted. I fear for young folk going electric assist.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
There is nothing wrong with eBikes and it is up to you to decide what is best for you. Getting out and about and enjoying yourself is the most important thing not what you are riding, or what others think you should ride.

Try 1 or 3 and make a decision. Ebikes can be great fun to ride.

You might be surprised at how many younger (much) younger people including teenagers have electric mountain bikes that they throw around forestry commision land and up the hills on a regular basis.

Yes i know about electric mountain bikes dragon. Riding anything can of course be fun but in truth, personally, they strike me as particularly meh. Then of course there's the electric carbon mountain bike.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Yes i know about electric mountain bikes dragon. Riding anything can of course be fun but in truth, personally, they strike me as particularly meh. Then of course there's the electric carbon mountain bike.
I think another part of the problem is that the UK is so far behind the rest of europe when it comes to e-bikes. Well anything to do with cycling, to be honest. When I ride around my local town in Denmark, I would think that at least a quarter of the bikes are electric bikes. They are ridden by the whole spectrum of people. Young, old, mums with the children on cargo bikes, children on the way to school. All our postmen ride them. They are very common in the whole of europe. But it seems, lacking in the UK.

Or are they getting more popular?

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I think another part of the problem is that the UK is so far behind the rest of europe when it comes to e-bikes. Well anything to do with cycling, to be honest. When I ride around my local town in Denmark, I would think that at least a quarter of the bikes are electric bikes. They are ridden by the whole spectrum of people. Young, old, mums with the children on cargo bikes, children on the way to school. All our postmen ride them. They are very common in the whole of europe. But it seems, lacking in the UK.

Or are they getting more popular?

I have seen an increase of bikes in general and ebikes in particular. I saw a young family on holiday last year and there was a mum with a young child on an ebike. A couple of years ago, i had never seen one around here.

Top Bottom