Greetings from .... Bangkok!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Yep, the Foodie's gone Global :becool:
Got a bit of an Asian tour on, a couple of difficult customer visits and a technical seminar to squeeze into the next 6 days. So this afternoon we arrived in Bangkok, spookily exactly 23 years exactly to the day since I was last here for my honeymoon. On the surface the city is far more high-rise, but at the street level it seems as wonderful as before.
One dissapointment, at the hotel with my colleagues we ate ... Italian and it seems tomorrow we're eating ... Italian :sad: Fortunately at the end of the week we have time to ourselves and I'm going for Thai street food :bravo:
Then Hong Kong, China and home ....

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
That's just showing off that is! :biggrin:

Enjoy :thumbsup:

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
If you want good street food, head to the Silom area of Bangkok, near the BST station. A great nosh up for about £2. Or, for the best mango shake in Asia, head across the road to the Bug and Bee.

Enjoy. Hopefully I will be there again next April. I love Bangkok and I do miss it.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

@ Sitttingduck, It's great to be here, I never thought I'd see it again, and I love the place!
@ Cookiemonster, thanks for the tip!Sitting in the posh hotel lobby this evening, I really felt I've made it!
@ dellzeqq, I really do need to get a roll-up panama ....
@ Dayvo I think Pat-pong-ping-pong may be off the itenarary, but maybe a ladyboy show!

Gotta kip now, death by ppt in the morning!
Cheers
FF.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Let us know if you bump into Gary Glitter.
I believe he is back in the UK, on the Sex Offenders Register and with a Foreign Travel Order against him banning him from ever going abroad again.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
If you have time take a trip to the Baiyoke Tower and then take the lift to the observation floor, I think its about the 76th floor. Wonderful panoramic views of the city. Feeling brave? Get in the lift again to the 84th floor and step outside onto the revolving platform. Cost about £2 but free if you eat in the hotel restaurant.
Other places to visit:-
Pantip Plaza - 6 floors crammed with electronic and computer stuff
bt0008.jpg

Pantip Plaza (on right) as seen from top of Baiyoke Tower
ProBike - http://www.probike.co.th/index.php - best bike shop in Bangkok. For rough converstion into Sterling, divide by 50 and remember to reclaim VAT
Weekend Market, - take either skytrain or underground to Mo Chit. 35 acres and about 15,000 stalls http://www.chatuchak.org/

U

User482

Yep, the Foodie's gone Global :becool:
Got a bit of an Asian tour on, a couple of difficult customer visits and a technical seminar to squeeze into the next 6 days. So this afternoon we arrived in Bangkok, spookily exactly 23 years exactly to the day since I was last here for my honeymoon. On the surface the city is far more high-rise, but at the street level it seems as wonderful as before.
One dissapointment, at the hotel with my colleagues we ate ... Italian and it seems tomorrow we're eating ... Italian :sad: Fortunately at the end of the week we have time to ourselves and I'm going for Thai street food :bravo:
Then Hong Kong, China and home ....

*jealous*.

I spent a month in Thailand a while back, and the street food in Bangkok was sublime. Get your colleagues out of their hotel! It's also worth a visit to Chinatown for the grub...

The river taxis are a great way of getting around, and get you away from the worst of the pollution and heat.

You might even do something vaguely cultural - the Grand Palace is a must see.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Cheers Mr Hippo, I like th ideas.
User482, I'm into the street food thing, we've had Thai Brekkie, Thai Lunch (at a posh Golf Course) and a very good Italian dinner, all very corporate, but Saturday will be street-level, local stuff. During my last visit we did the floating markets and Grand Palace and am happy to do them afgain with my colleague. Chinese food will wait intill we're in China, Hong Kong and the Shenzen.

It's a great priveledge to be here.

Top Bottom