Grimpeurs des Wolds Cyclosportive - East Yorkshire Saturday 25th July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
http://www.eastyorkshireclassic.co.uk/cyclosportive/

Big G – Grimpeurs des Wolds Cyclosportive. The event is part of a weekend of top quality cycling being promoted by Hull Thursday Road Club over the weekend of 24th to 26th July 2009. The event is based in Historic market town of Beverley and travels northwards onto the beautiful rolling countryside and steep climbs of the Yorkshire Wolds.
Three fully signposted routes are available 160 Km, 100 Km or 60 Km. All 3 routes have been chosen to take you through some of the best roads in this relatively undiscovered part of Yorkshire and feature stunning views of the surrounding valleys and vales, On a clear day both the Yorkshire Dales and North Yorkshire Moors are clearly visible from the numerous high points of the route.

Hull Thursday Road Club has been promoting cycle racing for 100 years and have recently organised the National Road Race championship, numerous premier calendar road races and the national circuit race championship in 2008 and will be organising the event again this year. This event has been organised by the same organisational team and so you can be assured of a first class event

Why not take the opportunity to make a weekend of it and come and watch the spectacular National criterium championship on Friday evening on the tight and cobbled circuit around Beverley town centre or the East Riding Classic Premier Calendar Road Race on Sunday also starting and finishing in Beverley and utilising the same HQ. Plenty of quality accommodation is available nearby.

We have a limit of 500 riders on a first come first served basis. All entrants must be 18 or over on the day of the event, Saturday 25th July 2009

The entry fee for both events is £20, this includes registration, souvenir t-shirt, 2 feed stations and after ride hot food and refreshments.

Full route details and profiles can be downloaded from the website at a later date

Start Times are available from 7.30 to 9.30 am (maximum group size 20 riders)

We look forward to seeing you all on the 25th July

For information or to register your interest please e.mail big.g.sportive@googlemail.com

HelenD123

Guru
Which distance are you going to do?

zacklaws

Guru
Just tried out the 100k ride last Friday to look at the route, most of it I know as its where I normally ride apart from a little bit of it, there is some good hills on it but all of them I can get up without stopping, took me 4 and a half hours but went slow untill I climbed the last hill at Nunburnholme then raced home.

The 60K route I ride reguarly and is fairly easy and most of the 160K I know but never tried it all in one go.

As for entering I may be working as its my flexi week and I do not know what I will be doing as of yet, but if not I have my Son coming to stay with me also for a month so I will be spending time with him as we rarely get together so I doubt I won't bother with it.

colly

Re member eR
Just up my street something like that.

Sadly I am away dahn sarff that weekend, visiting and doing my bit for family relationships etc etc. Oh JOY unbounded. So can't make it.

Shaun

Founder
craigwend PM'd me and I must say, I'm intrigued!

I failed to get my 100 miler by a few miles last year so what are the chances of putting together a CycleChat 100 Mile Team?

There's no guarantee that I'll be properly fit for it, but you tend not to notice the miles rolling away when you're in a group.

How big are these hills that are mentioned?

Cheers,
Shaun

OP
OP
craigwend

craigwend

I would like to do the 100-miler, I'm getting back to fitness again, I've done the distance it's the lack of hills (riding) that may (kill) challenge me.

I road 43 miles today(2h,38), up past walkington, to newbald across to gardham & etton, my legs were very poor on the hills though... though I like the idea of the challenge and I'm encouraged by zack's words
(I'm free wed, for a ride if your interested?)

So there we have the cyclechat.co.uk Hull& ER chapter 100 challenge is on!

Just need names before entries run out.

After a month at work on the ship (no cycling) only distance I'd be capable of is the 60K (=37miles). Plus a few miles to get to the start. Bit of utility cycling is enough training for that. Providing I'm free that is, which I'm not sure of yet.

100 miles. Only if I can do it over a couple of days.I'm never at home long enough to gain that level of cycling fitness.

zacklaws

Guru
If I had the time I would go for a ride round the course with anyone who fancies a look, but I am fully tied up with other commitments till at least August now sadly so doubt I will be out myself much.

As for the hills and it is featured on all three rides, the worst in my opinion is Nunburnholme, its only aprox 0.9 of a mile and rises about 393 feet. The first part is a short steep section, you cannot get a run at it because it comes after a sharp corner, so it saps all your strenght and then you have to slog away for about 0.7 of a mile.

My lowest gear is 39x25, there is advise on what gears to use on the website. About 10 months ago I would have to stop at least 4 times up this hill, before I finally cracked it and when I did it always felt if "Tyson" had punched me in the stomach as I would gasp for air.

In the 160K there is a big chunk of the course I do not know in the NE top corner but from expererince of when I have been roughly in that area there are some fair size hills but I'm not sure if they may be part of the route

HelenD123

Guru
I'd only be up for the 100k, or even the 60k. Good luck to the 100 milers!

If you fancy another crack at a 100-miler later in the summer there's the Dawn to Dusk challenge over near Leeds on 30 August. There's camping and stuff for the family laid on as well if you want to make a weekend of it. I'd be up for getting a CC team together but don't know whether I'd do the 100 mile or 100k.

HelenD123

Guru
punkypossum said:
Apparently the Dawn to Dusk is very hilly, so if I could find a way of getting there, I'd probably go for the 100k....

I think 'Grimpeur' means a hilly sportive. This lot are mad:laugh:.

OP
OP
craigwend

craigwend

I've just sent off for the details of the BIG G, see (if) how many places are left, just in case we need to get a wiggle (or any online realier) on!

Ps misread the DAwn til Dusk', thought it was Dusk til Dawn, with a big cyclists versus vampires ride off :rolleyes:

Arch

Married to Night Train
HelenD123 said:
I'd only be up for the 100k, or even the 60k. Good luck to the 100 milers!

I don't think I want to commit to 100k if it's hilly. Flat, I'd be fine with, but... So if anyone else fancies doing the the 60k, I'm in. I'm definitely on for the whole camping weekend thing.... Otherwise, I suppose the rest of us could plan our own jaunt for the day...

OP
OP
craigwend

craigwend

craigwend said:
I've just sent off for the details of the BIG G, see (if) how many places are left, just in case we need to get a wiggle (or any online realier) on!

Ps misread the DAwn til Dusk', thought it was Dusk til Dawn, with a big cyclists versus vampires ride off ;)

REPLY FROM ORGANISER'S ;)

Dear Craig

Thank you for your recent message
Yes we currently have places available for the event at all 3 distances although they are filling up fast and the closing date for entries is 11/7/2009 (if not full before then)
Full details of the event including entry forms are on the event website

http://www.eastyorkshireclassic.co.uk/cyclosportive/index.aspx

Paul Kilvington
Event Organiser
http://www.eastyorkshireclassic.co.uk/cyclosportive/

ENTRY FORM WEBPAGE THING
http://www.eastyorkshireclassic.co.uk/cyclosportive/docs/2009 Entry Form.pdf
(Just printing mine off for the Big-G plunge!)

Top Bottom